Gunite pool floated up

crafty33 said:
My gunite pool "floated up" approx a foot. It looks bad. My pool contractor wants to drill holes and see if it will settle back down. What are the chances this will work and not have any problems with the pool in the future? Several tiles have come off, several cracks with ground water slowly seaping thru, pool has separated from cement surounding the pool (this has cracked also).

I have just read a little more information, with the holes drilled there is no chance of it settling down again, the contractor should have checked the water table before starting work I always drill a hole about 8 inches in the bottom to prevent this from happening.

Sorry Mate but the damage is done maybe a new pool with a Grease Trap Hydrostatic Valve.

Kiwi Norman

OK it is possible that the pool will go back down after it has floated by filling it up with water and pumping the ground water out, even after that it wont be level so re tiling and any Injecting high pressure epoxy into the cracks.
It sounds to me that the contractor has made a mistake so he may have the insurance cover to sort it out. What you must understand is concrete loses 40% of its weight in water and the pool should have had a Hydrostatic Valve fitted and not a small one. I use a 8 in what is called a grease trap.
Its a pity that holes are drilled in the pool now plug them up and fit a Hydro Valve fill the pool then if it goes down great even a compacter inside the pool may help.
But having seen over a dozen floaters over some 30 years, one a large council pool I suspect you will be needing a new pool built, try your Insurance company.
Step 1 when it comes to emptying a pool: ensure it has a Hydro Valve that is operational and not plastered over :hammer: and always remember to get the right advice from from the trades person.

Kiwi Norman

They drilled the holes and the pool went down alot but not totally. The pictures show that. They are coming back today to drain all the water in the pool and install a hydro valve and then hook a pump up to it to try and drain all the ground water. They are going to do that for the weekend and come back Monday and reasse. They are trying to keep from having to build us a new pool. I understand that they don't want to have to build us a new one but I am still scared what will happen later down the road.

Good they are going to do right.
I would suggest getting an itemized list of what they plan to do and keep an eye on them ... who knows what kind of cost-saving measures they may try to employ.

A definite error on the part of the company doing the re-surfacing. Where I live, the water table can be high and when a pool is drained, they have to install temporary de-watering well points and run pumps 24 hours a day until the pool is re-filled. There is also a seperate plug under the floor drain grill to attach an additional pump to use while lowering the pool water. You pool can be like a big ship hull in the ocean. It floats on water. :)

I'm so glad to hear that the contractor is taking responsibility and rebuilding your pool. This can be a wake up call for anybody with a pool that has considered totally draining it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They finally have it were we can swim. Took too long for me. Finished filling up the new pool Sat morning. They still need to do several things. Did find out yesterday skimmer not working. They hooked it up to an old line that was not connected. Trying to keep water balanced without skimmer little harder. We switched to salt but cant use it for 30 days due to new plaster. I will try post some old and new pictures soon.

Thanks for asking

crafty33 said:
Just an update. The pool never went all the way back down. The pool company is going to build a brand new pool and replace the decking. They did not give me any problems. Big relief.

Amazing... you need to spread the word about this company (in a good way, I mean). Though this could certainly be seen as a strike against him (after all, presumably it was his fault and shouldn't have happened at all), I would look at the complete opposite... that a builder consistently does good work is near the top of the list of priorities, but equally as important is how he responds when something DOES happen to go wrong.

What I wouldn't give for my builder to posses that kind of ethic.

--Michael

mcaswell said:
Amazing... you need to spread the word about this company (in a good way, I mean). Though this could certainly be seen as a strike against him (after all, presumably it was his fault and shouldn't have happened at all), I would look at the complete opposite... that a builder consistently does good work is near the top of the list of priorities, but equally as important is how he responds when something DOES happen to go wrong.

What I wouldn't give for my builder to posses that kind of ethic.

--Michael

I give them cudos for replacing it but not in the way they did it. Going on 17 weeks now, this repair project started in Feb. And they just pushed back fixing the skimmer that they hooked up to a line that goes nowhere. They have canceled many days, never showed up, come several hours after the said they were coming, had to keep calling to find out when they were coming next, crew show up and asked my wife waht they were supossed to do, then had to come back again because they did not do what they were suppossed to do. Didnt even know a plaster crew had not come on a saturday till I called on Tuesday (monday was a holiday) to find out when they were coming. They were like what do you mean they did it on Sat. I could go on and on.

Talk about 17 weeks of stress. Not worth it to me. They are fixing their mistake but taking their sweet time. So, I have never mention the companies name and never will because I will not endorse them nor give them a bad name.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.