What pump to use for DIY water feature

Feb 8, 2012
Hello All... I'm new to the site.

and going to break ground here shortly on a pool remodel.... I have an idea for a DIY water feature that I would like to add to my pool. It is considered a RAIN feature... have seen it done on DIY network with ponds etc, and seems like a very easy concept. It is mostly done with a submergable pump... line runs up to a long peice of PVC pipe which has staggered holes drilled into it, and once the water runs through it creates a rain effect like this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgLQ4gHHb8g

My question is about the pump to use. My idea was to have the pool contractor drill through the pool wall before the re-plaster have a pipe ran atleast 5 ft away from the pool next to my gazeebo... which from their a line will run up my gazeebo to the PVC rain feature mounted at the edge of my gazeebo (which hangs over my pool) and wallla... recirculating water feature at the flip of a switch, without having to run it through my energy sucking pool equipment.

what kind of pump should I use... that will produce the circulating idea that I have? It does not need to be high flow as this is not a sheer style waterfall... mainly has to run through line with the same consistancy as a hose on 1/2 power. also any other tips / tricks / feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
-Pat :goodjob:

It's not that simple Empire. A submerged suction in a pool is subjected to several laws that must be adhered to. This would likely make your desire to use a separate pump for the feature prohibitively expensive.

It will probably be far easier and less expensive to siphon off some of the pool return flow to drive the water feature. I am assuming you are looking for the water to both come from and be returned to the pool.

Scott

Thanks for the response.

I don't plan on using a submerged pump. I plan on using an in line or style pump. PVC pipe will go through pool wall to the pump all being level. so when the pump is turned on, it will suction from the pool. it will also have a cover placed over it similar to a main drain cover.

I would like it to be sperate from my pool equipment so I do not have to turn all of that on just to have the water feature going. I considered using a small seperate pool pump for this, but they don't seem to move the GPH required. from the instruction write up on the feature I posted he recommends pumps that move around 5000 gph.

I didn't say a submerged pump. I was talking about the suction lines a separate pump would require to feed it. Those would be submerged suction outlets, subject to the VGB-2008 requirements and it's amendments. That will require two suction ports, tied, with sumps. That will likely cause rebar to be cut, possible bonding issues, and some significant money to be spent.

Why would you want a separate pump to be added? Do you have an attached spa you want to operate while the water feature is in use?

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.