Chicago Suburb Pool Build

Jan 30, 2012
I am finding the whole pool quote process a little overwhelming and am basically I am looking to get some input with a pool I am currently bidding out in the Chicago area. We have got a few bids for a 16 X 40 or 18 X 38 rectangular vinyl liner pool about 5 1/2 foot in the deep end and may 3 1/2 foot in the shallow. They are all coming in around the $38,000 range base.

What I could use some help with, especially from anyone in the Chicago but all can comment, area is:

What builder did you use if in Chicago?

Any difference in using the Pacific Pools Graphex panels with a gravel backfill or a Fox pools wall panel with the X brace and backfilling with the same dirt (which they saying isn't even needed?

What do you think are the basic needs on a pool this size? What upgrades would you recommend as must haves that you have found?

Also, if my space that I am using this is about 35 X 65 do you think this is a good size? Looking to use this for recreation and maybe limited swimming for exercise.

Please feel free to ask questions back as it can only help guide me in the right direction.

Thanks all!!!

Did not even know that Fox was still around....:)

Put in a Fox 27 years ago......back filled 2 days after assembly and poured concrete one week later. It is the only concrete left on the property. Replaced all with pavers and the concrete around the pool does not even have any cracks.

Go for the Fox.

Both are fine pools. Really.

Foxx has been around a very long time. I have several customers with them. The masons here usually add sonnet tube posts every few feet to the underside of a deck to ensure that any settling doesn't cause the deck to pitch.

Pacific uses a resin panel system that can't rust. The use of a gravel back fill means the deck won't settle.

Both would last 40+ years.

Scott

cstavr1 said:
I am finding the whole pool quote process a little overwhelming and am basically I am looking to get some input with a pool I am currently bidding out in the Chicago area. We have got a few bids for a 16 X 40 or 18 X 38 rectangular vinyl liner pool about 5 1/2 foot in the deep end and may 3 1/2 foot in the shallow. They are all coming in around the $38,000 range base.

What I could use some help with, especially from anyone in the Chicago but all can comment, area is:

What builder did you use if in Chicago?

Any difference in using the Pacific Pools Graphex panels with a gravel backfill or a Fox pools wall panel with the X brace and backfilling with the same dirt (which they saying isn't even needed?

What do you think are the basic needs on a pool this size? What upgrades would you recommend as must haves that you have found?

Also, if my space that I am using this is about 35 X 65 do you think this is a good size? Looking to use this for recreation and maybe limited swimming for exercise.

Please feel free to ask questions back as it can only help guide me in the right direction.

Thanks all!!!

I can't help you with choosing between PPG & Fox but I bolded the part that had me confused/concerned. To me this statement implies that after they pour the concrete collar around the base of the steel walls they will then backfill behind the walls with spoil (dirt removed during the dig) instead of crushed stone or pea gravel, etc. IMO, particularly since you live in Chicago, this would make the concrete near the coping much more susceptible to heave and cracking.

As far as which pool dimension is better, I'd go with the 38x18 as it gives you an additional 44sq-ft. Ultimately, you'll have to decide which fits better in the space you have available.

And finally with regard to must haves. I'd say that a lot of folks north of the Mason/Dixon tend to have some kind of supplemental heat. Heat pumps seem to be quite popular. The water temps at your latitude might still be a bit cold at the start/end of the swimming season. A lot of people use them during the swimming season to take the chill of the water. That's not a problem down south but it's probably something to consider in your region. Budget about $4500 for that. Gas is cheaper to install but depending on your rates it may be more expensive to operate.

The fill around my Foxx pool was the dirt they dug out.

There has been settling over the first 5 years but we just put gravel and a couple times, concrete in the holes. The concrete walkway never moved or cracked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.