Jandy RS8->OneTouch: Connect to house via RS485 transceiver?

hamw

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2011
I have a Jandy RS8 which works very well, and also has an AquaPalm attached, as my pool house is 200 ft from the main house. I'd like to have the OneTouch panel, currently in the pool house, moved to the main house for programming convenience. However, as a recent lightening strike in my area knocked out some wired equipment (Whole House Audio outside speaker amps, sprinkler controllers and some other pool equipment) I am reluctant to run 200-250 ft of buried cable. With that in mind I purchased a Black Box Networking MDR295A-kit RS485 transceiver set to act as a wireless bridge between the house and the equipment panel.

This transceiver set works fine, with a link established and the TX/RX lights firing in synchrony. However, the OneTouch controller will not enter its normal display mode in response to the RS485 signal the Black Box transceivers are generating, remaining illuminated with only the firmware ID displayed. And although the TX/RX lights are active on the transceivers, the TX is only on the equipment side, and the RX is only on the OneTouch side, so there is no two-way established, even with button presses on the OneTouch. The wiring is correct, and I have a measured 10v source to power the OneTouch panel.

Ideas? My thoughts are that RS485 should be RS485, but apparently this is not the case. It seems that something else is happening on the (+) (-) wires besides simple packet transmission. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks!

Re: Jandy RS8->OneTouch: Connect to house via RS485 transcei

Yes, nothing wrong with anything. Just trying to move the panel inside the house without using wires.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.