Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris is slow

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris is slow

I've a Polaris 380. It worked nicely last season, but now that I am getting ready for this year it is operating weakly. I checked the wheel RPM per the users manual and found it to be slow - it's about 24, but is supposed to be between 28 and 32. So, it does not have the strength to crab around the side of the pool; it just sits there until the reversing unit pulls it back and it may just retrace its path over and over. I do not have a restricting disk at the pool wall; and the pressure regulator is shut, allowing full flow through the hose.
    Booster pump is new.
    Backwashing the DE filter makes some difference, but with a recently backwashed filter it behaves as described above. I have not opened and serviced the filter since last year, so I'm guessing there might be some restriction in the filter. I'm planning to do the filter myself this time, after observing the pool guy do it last year.
    Any thoughts?
    20,000 gal in-ground, vinyl liner, Hayward DE-3600 filter, Polaris 380, Purex Triton valve 27-1141. North Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris is slow

Quote Originally Posted by perryy
    I've a Polaris 380. It worked nicely last season, but now that I am getting ready for this year it is operating weakly. I checked the wheel RPM per the users manual and found it to be slow - it's about 24, but is supposed to be between 28 and 32. So, it does not have the strength to crab around the side of the pool; it just sits there until the reversing unit pulls it back and it may just retrace its path over and over. I do not have a restricting disk at the pool wall; and the pressure regulator is shut, allowing full flow through the hose.
    Booster pump is new.
    Backwashing the DE filter makes some difference, but with a recently backwashed filter it behaves as described above. I have not opened and serviced the filter since last year, so I'm guessing there might be some restriction in the filter. I'm planning to do the filter myself this time, after observing the pool guy do it last year.
    Any thoughts?
    You may also want to check the small filter in the wall connector. That gets gunked up with sand or DE occasionally. Also, is you pressure gauge showing normal levels?
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Just a thought, you might want to check the booster pump's impeller for blockage. Another place that something may be obstructing the flow is in the unit itself - it only takes a small leaf or twig lodged in there to reduce the flow.

A 'quick and dirty' way to see if the filter is the problem is to try running it on 'recirc' and see if the polaris works properly (if you don't have a multiport, this won't work )

Good luck with the fix, if you need any more help, you know where to find us.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Just a thought, but my polaris runs a little slow now too. I noticed that with a pool temp of 41 - 44 degrees, the hose is pretty stiff and it seems to have a harder time pulling it around.
    7000 gallon IG freeform w/ 6 ft. spa, 21 ft weeping wall, Hayward SP4020NS Northstar pump, Colorlogic LED’s, DE6020 filter and H400IDL2 400,000btu heater. Aqua logic 8 zone controller with Aqua Rite salt chlorine generator, Stonescapes pebble finish – Aqua Blue and flagstone coping, stamped/stained concrete deck

5. Back To Top    #5

Cold water has a definite impact on the speed of the polaris.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

6. Back To Top    #6
    im having similar problem except that my polaris doesnt even move after a bit. what is happening is that the screen at the quick connect is getting clogged up super fast. i didnt think about doing the recirculate, that will help me figure out if the filter has a leak allowing for debris to get through, but i think there is just a lot of stuff in the pipes from when there WAS a leak in the filter and lots of seedlings got pumped through.
    30,000gal In-ground Gunite Pool DE filter
    Polaris 380 APC

BBB method all the way - Newb, like to absorb info and chatter, but take the experts' advise