Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Paint Dilemma

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Paint Dilemma

My husband and I are going round and round over the choice of color for the resurface of our old concrete pool. I am really wanting Olympic brand's White, he thinks that it should be the Blue Mist. Since Olympic does not include any photos of their paints with water in the pools, has anyone resurfaced their pool with/without a color and has before/ after photos? I really want to avoid a "greenish" cast to the water. Our pool is practically white at this point anyway due to the fading of the paint, and I think that it looks very good that way, however, he insists that a light blue is what is needed and customary.

Any comments, photos, suggestions, product thoughts, would really be appreciated.

We are looking at products by Olympic and Ramuc because we get a discount from a major pool supply place here in NJ, because he is a contractor by trade. Thanks.
    1960s Original Sylvan Pool
    Concrete
    @ 30,000 Gallons
    Hayward DE Filter
    2 HP Hayward Pump
    BBB believer!

2. Back To Top    #2

Replying to my own post

Ok, no responses. Is no one painting their pools nowdays? Am I in the stone age? Will the Flinstones be coming over for a Bar-B-Q? My old pool is originally painted, and while I would love to do a complete upgrade with plaster, lights, slate, yada, yada, yada, the economy for me makes it such that, that is not going to happen this year or next. Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic? please... help...me...I need to make a case to the hubs that the pool should be painted white, NOT blue! I need expert opinions here!
    Concrete
    @ 30,000 Gallons
    Hayward DE Filter
    2 HP Hayward Pump
    BBB believer!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Hardly anyone paints their pools anymore. Paint doesn't tend to last all that long, so the cost is higher than it might appear to be compared to plaster, and it makes a mess when it starts to fail.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks

Thanks for the reply JasonLion. Do you think that it is worth it if you only plan on the paint lasting for a few years? We really would love to do an entire restoration, however, the things we really want to do will cost @$25,000 or more, and it is just not feasible now. Our thought was paint it and then do a re-do in a few years. That way the pool would look a little fresher and make the maintenance a little easier. When you said that the mess it makes when the paint fails, what did you mean by that? The paint is already failing, (chipping) all over this pool anyway. The prior owners painted it at least 5 years ago. We were planning on sandblasting off the surface, doing a little repair work for cracks and then paint. If you really think that plaster over the bare concrete is better, please explain why and cost, if you have any idea on that.

Thanks a lot.
    Concrete
    @ 30,000 Gallons
    Hayward DE Filter
    2 HP Hayward Pump
    BBB believer!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Plastering might be around $5,000 for a large pool for plain plaster, more or less depending on who you have do it and how busy things are in your area. Plaster will last 10 to 20 years depending on how well you take care of it. Prices go up if you want colors or quartz or pebble.

For "mess" I was thinking paint chips. They can get into the plumbing and cause problems, can jam up pool cleaners, etc.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    I can only offer what our Pool Techs told us in Feb 07. And, you know, different locations, pool size, etc...

We bought our house in 2/06 and the pool had been painted and looked awful especially on the deep end wall. When we called for an estimate to "repaint" ('cause we thought that was what we wanted to do) he gave the following price quotes:

1. Repaint, $2,592
    2. Replaster, $3,332

He also said that if we had it repainted we would probably want it redone in about two years

We went with the plaster. White plaster and our water looks blue

Also, I have read some posts about folks repainting their own pools. If not on TFP, perhaps the threads were on PoolForum.com. The paint is not cheap, but perhaps a 'pool painting party' with lots of help (and complete instructions for prep) could go a long way to keep you swimming until the redo.....just an idea.

Hope this helps.

Joyce
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7
    not to get into the paint v. plaster thing, but a white pool will appear a light blue when filled. See Joyce's avatar, above.

Blue paint will look darker blue. Gray paint will look grayish-blue. Pretty much the only way to get green water is to paint the pool green, or let the algae grow!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

8. Back To Top    #8
    or check out my avitar. My pool is white fiberglass. Looks blue!