Acid wash, gunite pool floating question

elishatarvin

In The Industry
Oct 18, 2011
I am going to do an acid wash, but i was wondering, since I need to completely drain my pool, how long will it take for the pool to float up since it will be drained. In other words, how much time do I have to do the acid wash. Also, whats the best way to stop the acid trail from the shallow to the deep end from the water/acid running, and how do I stop a ring forming in deep end from the acid/water solution? Thanks a million.

Welcome to TFP!

An acid wash is typically not an undertaking that we consider to be a DIY project. There are a few who might disagree, but the majority of our industry guys on here would probably support that statement and would even further go ahead and make the statement that an acid wash is very rarely, if ever truly indicated. That being said, I wouldn't know the first thing about how to keep an acid trail from forming.

A pool can float in a matter of seconds with a high water table.

Others will be along to offer further advice. I hope to hear from our plaster experts on how to address your situation.

I appreciate the quick response. I should point out that I am not a complete newbie. I have been working on swimming pools for 6 years and I am actually starting my own business. However, I actually never had to perform an acid wash with my previous employer, but I do know how to do it minus those questions that I asked.

Pull the hydrostatic plugs from the bottom. Sometime they are hidden below the drain covers, sometimes they are in plain sight. If the pool in in a location with a high water table, there is likely a dry well line near the deep end that a pump would be connected to to pull the water from under the shell. Send it away from the pool and house, down hill.

Scott

You can't prevent it but you can (A) do the bowl last and (B) ring the lowest areas with baking soda to neutralize the solution.

Use a 4 parts water to 1 part acid mix. Use plastic watering cans. If it's apparent the mix is too weak, use a 3 to 1 mix.

Rinse well. have a pump at the low point to remove the neutralized solution. Make sure its neutralized!!!!!!

Wear protective gear!

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.