Wood Deck Treatment

Gardog

Feb 17, 2008
Does anyone here have a wood deck around their pool? If so, what do you use to treat it with & how do you apply it?
I have used Thompson's but just not satisfied with the color & the duration that it lasts.

Gdog

Gdog,

If I had to guess, i'd say you get a lot of sun on that deck. Wood, water and sunshine don't mix well.

I'm not sure if there's anything much better than Thompson's but I do know that the more water and Sun your wood is exposed to, the less life you can expect. I've had wood decking for 20 years on a covered porch (no sun, no water) and it still looks good. Exposed completely to the elements, you'll seldom get more than a few years unless you treat it constantly.

hi Gdog
I have had my decking for about 32 years. I went through the trouble of re-staining every five years with good quality stain and sealer. I did this about three times. This wasn't the answer. As duraleigh pointed out I finally went to using a clear stain every year and this works. I use the cheapest I can find but I do it every summer. It is not around my pool but I have about 2000 sq feet. Doing it every year is a PIA but you do what you have to.

Thanx Guys,
Your observations are correct. My deck is wide open in the sun & lots of kiddies swimming getting water everywhere plus the rain. Is it ok to use a spray gun with an air compressor to apply stain or sealer? My deck is very large & I would rather do this quickly to get it over and done with.

Gdog

Gdog,

I would suggest a roller with a long handle rather than attempting to spray. Sealer sorta' needs to be "worked in".

One last thought....that synthetic stuff holds up for years.....might be an upgrade option some day. :idea:

I hate to post for another member, but Pooladdict has an amazing cedar deck around his pool that he has posted about regarding staining/sealing. He may be someone to ask or search his posts for some insight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.