Conversion...from Baquacil to Chlorine

MDpool

Sep 14, 2011
I started out with a green pool on Bacquacil and decided to do the conversion to chlorine now instead of in the spring after asking and receiving help here at this website. I've been dumping in liquid bleach, brushing, vacuming and backwashing, the pool looks so much better...not perfect, but better. Now the water is turquois. Is this the right color or is there too much of something in there? I tested the water before adding chlorine today, here's the numbers ( I have a 13,500 gal above ground pool): Free Chlorine - 0, PH - 7.8, Alkalinity - 180, Hardness - 0, CYA - 30-50. I know the alkalinity is too high, is that what's making it that color? I did add more liquid chlorine to boost that up, I'm trying to get to 15ppm. Am I on the right track or is there anything else I need to me doing? I can faintly see the bottom where I couldn't just a couple of days ago. When I backwashed today there is no algae like yesterday. I feel I'm doing the right things, but just want to make sure.

Don't worry about any colors you might see until the conversion is over. The water can turn a whole variety of colors depending on circumstances.

Have you read the article on baqua conversions in Pool School? That runs through the conversion process fairly throughly. It sounds like you are doing fairly well, but have a ways to go yet. One good measure of progress is to measure how much chlorine you lose overnight. The less you lose overnight the closer to done you are.

It is unfortunate you have CYA in the water. That is going to slow down the conversion significantly.

Thanks for the information. When I started I wasn't just dealing with a conversion, but I had a pool full of algae and I had to get rid of that first so the chlorine I've been putting in has been eating that up and now I feel like I'm just trying to reach that 15ppm that I read I needed in the conversion instructions in Pool School. I do find this web site very helpful and I'm so glad I found it. I had hoped to close the pool this weekend....do you think I'll make it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.