Pool Closing, Question on skimmer

May 2, 2011
Hi all,

I'm about ready to close the pool myself for the very first time.
I did a lot of reading/youtubing, and bought air compressor and i'm ready to go.
I'm trying to drain the water to below skimmer level, and try to 'backwash' it. But it took so long to drain the water, as the pump loose it's prime every now and then, it would take some 1 minute to be on full backwash mode.
My questions:
1. Is there an easier way to drain the pool?
I dont have any drain system at the bottom. So its only way out is the skimmer.
2. In the attached picture, I do see 2 lines in the skimmer. One is for the regular line to the filter, the other is covered with something white. I can't really easily open it either. Can anyone help me understand what the second one is for? And if I need to, how can I open it?
3. I have a plug for the main line in the skimmer. Do I still need to use/buy Gizzmo?
4. How do I apply the antifreeze?

As always, thank you,

Jovian

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 128
The plugged hole in the bottom of the skimmer almost certainly doesn't go anywhere. Builders tend to use skimmers with two holes in the bottom and then plug the second hole if they don't have any need for it.

You could try using a vacuum hose to lower the water level below the skimmer with the main pump. The main disadvantage of that is that if there is any air leak the pump will lose prime and you won't be able to re-prime the pump.

Once you blow out the line, you can pour some anti-freeze in the skimmer. Then plug the skimmer and pour in some more anti-freeze. You also need to find a way to get anti-freeze into the return line. Often it can be poured into the return jet fitting, but sometimes that gets tricky.

It is good to put something in the skimmer that will absorb ice expansion, either a gizzmo or weight down a cut up piece of pool noodle or something. Otherwise, if water somehow fills up the skimmer it could have ice damage.

Get a submersible pump that uses a garden hose and lower your water at least 8 inches below the skimmer.. Then use a wet vac to remove the water in the suction line in the skimmer that goes to the filter after draining the filter.. Use a rubber expansion plug in that hole and cover the skimmer opening as to keep it dry thru the winter ..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.