Double Cover Pool?

Sep 12, 2011
I have a 16x34 in ground pool and use a mesh safety cover for the winter. I don't want to lose the safety aspect of the mesh cover but have had lot's of dirt and algae when opening in the spring. I use the typical winterizing kits when closing but still have problems when opening. I was thinking of double covering this year with a solid tarp type cover and then the safety cover over top of it. Is this a good/bad idea? Thanks for any advice.

Jeff

It'll help a lot more to close late (when the water temperature is significantly below 60 degrees) and open early (before it reaches 60 degrees). Those temperatures inhibit algae growth. A dose of polyquat at closing can also be helpful in preventing algae at opening.

I suppose the tarp might help with the dirt aspect, but I'd be concerned about snow/ice piling up on it and putting more weight on the cover than it's designed for. After all, it's intended to let water run through it, and if that is changed it's not working as designed any more. But that might be overparanoid of me.

I have given some thought to doing the same thing but elected not to due to the cost of the solid cover and water bags to keep it in place. I was planning on putting the solid cover over the safety cover. I am confident the safety cover could hold the weight of a snowfall around me but water would need to be siphoned off as the snow melted I think. It is recommended that with a mesh cover you dont close the pool until the water tempt reaches 50 degrees and reopen before the temp rises above 50 degrees.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.