Pump impeller size?

Jul 8, 2011
SW MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Back-story: Got a pump with a pool that I acquired http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-removal-t37997.html. It's a Hayward PowerFlo with an Emerson 1 1/2 motor. Pump was very stiff to turn and after some troubleshooting determined it was the wet end. I couldn't get the impeller free from the motor shaft. Took it to a local pool store and they very kindly removed the impeller, cleaned up the motor shaft and gave lots of good advice at no charge. As there parts prices were only a little higher then on the internet I bought them there in exchange for the good service I'd received.

Question: The impeller they sold me was a 1 hp impeller, the old one was a 3/4 hp. I've installed and everything seems to work fine, but I wondering if there could be any long term consequences :?:

On a 1½ hp motor, using a 1 hp impeller will increase your flow a little over the old impeller but the motor will be fine with it. Your amp draw will go up a little with the new impeller but not much.

Thanks, it's kind of what I thought which is why I went ahead and put it together.

Brings up another question though. Since the motor has been changed out at some time in the past I have no pump data placard, I kinda guessed based upon the standard Hayward powerflo pump info. With the new impeller do you have any idea what my flow should be now? I have a Hayward SwimPro SW256T which is rated at 80 gpm. If the motor ever dies I plan on going to a two speed but until then I'll use what I've got as long as it won't damage something.

Since your sand filter is rated at 1600gph (27 gpm) the pump might be over sized enough to cause channeling. If it does channel you could eliminate that problem by installing a valve on the pump discharge and close it off some to reduce the flow.

Thanks, that is one of my concerns especially since the impeller has been upgraded. Once I have it up and running next year I'll post back with picture's & psi numbers so somebody can give me good numbers. Does the valve have to be between the pump and the filter? Seems that a valve between the filter & return would restrict flow through the filter but leave full flow available for backwash and waste. I was planning to hard plumb and put valves at the skimmer & return with disconnects so this would eliminate and additional valve if this would work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.