Garden Hose reducer fitting on waste line

Aug 31, 2011
I'm a new owner of a pool in TX, purchased a TF-100 and using BBB. I have a very high CYA that will be dealt with this winter. Anyways my question is can I put a garden hose reducer coupling on my 1 1/2 inch waste line? I want to use the garden hose as a discharge line to water plants while backwashing. I just wanted to check with you guys to make sure I don't burn up the pump or cause any damage from the increased pressure.

Thanks!

If you reduce the size from 1½" to 3/4" (more likely 1/2") then your filter isn't going to backwash properly due to the flow restriction. It won't really 'hurt' anything but your filter won't get clean.

Okay, that makes sense, I had visions of hooking up the waste line to a lawn sprinkler for an hour or so when it was time to backwash or drain. Guess I'll just invest in one of those larger roll up hoses. My current waste line is plumbed to the city sewer, but is clogged, so I plan to add a T to the line with a shutoff valve to bypass the clogged line. That way, I'll have the option to use waste water for the backyard, and maybe some day I'll get around to clearing the line to sewer. Should I be worried about getting DE on the lawn? Seems like a little chalk couldn't do much harm...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.