Pool Pump choice

Jun 15, 2010
NB, Canada
My pump is in the shop at the moment. Hopefully the guy can fix it for cheap. It's a Hayward 1HP Super Pump for an in ground pool.

Is it worth fixing a pump or better to buy a new one?

Also, are Hayward good pumps or should i buy something else if he can't fix it?

Thanks!

The Super Pump is a good pump so if he can fix it for a reasonable price and the wet end is still in good condition, then I would say go for it.

Well, the guy couldn't fix my pump.

I did find a guy who gave me an old pump, same thing, Hayward Super Pump 1HP...except it's wired for 220, not 110. So i got someone to hook it up to my 220 wiring and it runs nice and quiet.

Problem is, i have air coming out of the jets in the pool now. I can see that the wet end of the pump doesn't fill 100%. There are some air bubbles at the very top of where the water comes into the pump (where the basket filter is). I let it run for a few days and it's still doing this. I can also hear the air bubbles making their way thru the filter.

Does this mean that the pump i got for free is no longer good? Is it possible i didn't install the pump properly?

Thanks!

I'd check the lines going into the pump and the gasket on the strainer cover and make sure you're getting a good seal first. At worst - it's only going to be a couple more weeks before you close anyway... Then you can take your time about coming up with a plan to start next year.

I checked all the pipes coming in and going out...and nothing seems to be leaking. The gasket seems ok, but it's not new. I bought a new one and might install it tonight.

The pool store guy says it could be something in the pump which makes it lose some suction power. Not sure what he called it.

Anyway, i'll try the new gasket and see if that helps any. I'd like to be able to vacuum the pool a few times before closing it.

Cheers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.