algea, small pump

Jul 19, 2011
I have an algea outbreak beaten but have a very small pump. I am wondering if a nylon sock could help with my cartrige filter and where would I put it? I have a 16x48 easy set pool with accompanying filter (780gph I think) so not too much power. just want to get it cleaned up as soon as possible. I dont have a skimmer (I dont think??) unless it is part of the pump itself, but not like on an inground pool. Any tips?

Get the walmart brand cartridge (distributed by walmart) and skip the nylon sock. The Intex filters will not catch the fine particles of dead algae well at all, especially just one small pump.

Now, with that said... go read pool school and pay particular attention to the shocking information. You need chlorine, in the proper quantities in relation for your CYA level, and you then need to maintain that shock level throughout the process. The filters themselves are of little concern compared to the necessity of maintaining chlorine. The Intex filters will work ok to begin with but once it's all dead you'll want to get better media in the pump to make it sparkling clear. Till then, let the water flow through the inefficient filter while you shock because the walmart filters do plug up within 24 hours on a balanced pool, and even faster while shocking.

ok, I did have an intex cartrige in but switched it out to a walmart brand one and then whirlpooled and swept to get things moving. Ok, so the water is clear and there is a little green sediment on the bottom, then I sweep and whirlpool and the water of course becomes slightly greenish. Is this normal? Does it sound like the algea is dead or when it is completely dead will it become white or cloudy?

Green means algae.

You need to shock your pool. Read pool school, and the shocking your pool information. Many times.

You also need a test kit. The only information we have on your pool water is that it's green. Green is as good a sign of algae as anything. So yes, you NEED to shock to kill it. But shocking is a process, not a one time event that you then walk away from. So be sure to read up about it first.

Do you have any kind of test kit? If not, you can take your water to a pool store for a free test. Post back here with the results, it will help us help you because as it stands right now all we know is that you need to shock. Knowing how much chlorine it will take to shock the pool depends on the test results you'll provide us.

Thanks, I did reread the shock info and have been shocking over the last two days more consistently (by that I mean keeping my chlorine at shock level). I have a cheap drop test that measures to only 5 for ch but I have been using a dilution method to try to get a reading I can use. The water today is much clearer and no green but not completely clean. I am having a hard time getting to the pool place because I just had a baby. None of this is ideal I know, the children were just in the pool to give it a good stir and things are looking ok. I'm so frustrated, I hate the water not being clear, it has been sparkling all season. The kids dont know what to do they are so used to it being clean. Anyway, thanks, will get back with numbers if I can get some. Oh, my cya based on last test is 40 so I am going on that number for shock levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.