Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often/long do you run your Cleaner?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often/long do you run your Cleaner?

I'm curious how often (days/week) and long (hrs/day) do you run your Cleaner? Also does it change between the winter and summer seasons if you don't close your pool?

I currently have mine set at 3 hrs/day 7 days/wk which seems too frequent to me.

Thanks
    Torben

22,500 gallons IG gunite free form w/ spa, Tropical Breeze Pebbletec, Intelliflo Variable Speed, 2hp Whisperflo for waterfall feature, Intellitouch, Quad DE 80 Filter, Mastertemp heater, SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often/long do you run your Cleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin2003
    I'm curious how often (days/week) and long (hrs/day) do you run your Cleaner? Also does it change between the winter and summer seasons if you don't close your pool?

I currently have mine set at 3 hrs/day 7 days/wk which seems too frequent to me.

Thanks

Hi Martin2003
    I just answered someone here that I was just running mine about 4 hrs a day, 7 days a week.
    It also depends on how many gallon pool you have as well as how well your pump pumps.
    I figure my pump can pump 100 gpm which is 6000 gallons an hour and fow 4 hrs = 24,000 gallons total
    24,000 gallons is about twice my pool has in it. I figure two total exchanges each day.
    I may consider changing my timer so I can pump every other day instead of daily during the winter.
    That should help reduce the electric costs and still maintain good water.

Iggy
    In-Ground SWG pool 11,000 gal., Jandy CL460 Filter, 1.5hp Stealth Jandy pump, Paramount PV3 In-Floor cleaning sys., Goldline SWG, Hayward Color Logic 2.5 LED Light

3. Back To Top    #3
    Another consideration is how much debris is getting into your pool. I have no trees to worry about, just the "junk" such as dead grass , bird poop, dog hair, etc. and I have found that running my cleaner for only 1 hour (small 11,000 gal pool) per day is sufficient.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It varies from pool to pool, as well as with different cleaners. Play with it a bit. If you run it an hour a day and your pool gets dirty, run it longer. It's really going to be trial and error to find just the right duration.