Super Pump vs. Super Pump II

Aug 12, 2011
I have a 24K gallon pool with 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, & 2 returns. all piping is 1.5"

The very old Super Pump 1HP has died so I would greatly appreciate a recommendation for a replacement. I'm leaning towards the Super Pump II 1HP, but to be honest I really don't have a good technical reason for that choice. I'm just assuming newer design must be better??

Until it died I was very happy with the performance of the old Super Pump 1 HP, but would very much appreciate recommendations.

Are there advantages to the Super Pump II?

Should I consider getting more HP or does the 1.5" pipe make it a moot point?

I currently have no water features and other than building a solar heater in a few years will probably not be adding any.

Thanks in advance for your help it will be greatly appreciated.
Regards...Matt

With 1.5-inch pipe, you want to limit the flow rate. I would suggest the SP2607X102S two-speed Hayward Superpump (Total H.P = 1.0) or the WFDS-3 two-speed Whisperflo from Pentair (Total H.P = 1.25). A Super II would be too much for your system.

If you don't want a two-speed pump, then I would suggest the SP2605X7 Hayward Superpump (Total H.P = 0.75) or the WFE-2 Whisperflo from Pentair (Total H.P = 0.95).

What filter do you have: Make, Model, Type?

How high would the solar panels be?

The solar panels will probably not reach more than 8 higher than the pump. I think the two speed pumps are a bit over my budget.
So do you think the pump originally installed(circa 1993) was oversized or have the pumps just improved enough that I can replace an old 1 HP with a newer .75 HP?
Sounds like we should save some energy with the newer smaller pump.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Matt

Given that you don't have any water features or spa, you want a very small pump. Small pumps use less electricity to move the same amount of water. Getting a two speed pump is one simple way of getting a smaller pump, since running a two speed on low is like using a single speed pump with 1/8 the HP. If you don't want to spend the extra money on a two speed, think about the Super Pump SP2600X5 or SP2605X7.

The delta cost for a 2 speed is well worth it, especially if you are planning on getting solar. You HAVE to run your pump during the day for solar, if you have a 2 speed, it is relatively easy to wire the pump so that it goes to high speed when you are using solar and low speed otherwise. The reduced noise on low speed is wonderful, especially if the pad is close to the pool.

I have a variable speed pump and on low speed you can just barely hear it running - so much nicer than when we had a single speed Superpump....

Thanks to everyone for your input, it is much appreciated. I considered replacing the motor, but after taking the old one apart and looking at the internals I decided against pursuing that option. In the end I decided to go with the Pentair Super Flo Two Speed 1 HP pump(the Whisperflo was just out of my budget at this time). Since the season is almost over here in VA I'm going to wait until next year before upgrading the timer to take advantage of the dual speed.

Thanks Again...Matt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.