Heat pump BTU recommendation for Nova Scotia, Canada

New pool owner and looking for recommendations from the experts on how many BTU's I need for my 21' AGP (10,400gal). Going to pick up a heat pump over the winter or spring but not sure if a 50k BTU will do or if i need a 100k BTU. looking to run the pool from May to September. Ill list the average temps below for my location and hopefully some in the same area or someone with the same average temps can chime in. The price difference between a 50k and 100k is about $1000 CAD. So if I can get away with a 50K BTU and save the $1000, that would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.

Average temps for each month:
May 54F ( Want to open pull mid May or so)
June 59F
July 65F
August 65F
September 58F (Close pool mid to late Sept)

50 oF is about as low as you would want to go when using a heat pump. The efficiency drops off quickly as the ambient air temperatures fall. Bigger is definitely necessary. 100 K is the minimum that I would suggest.

Gas would be better if it is available.

Thanks for the reply. We don't have natural gas unfortunately so that's not an option. We do have propane (stove, hot water, fireplace) but it would be more expensive than electricity according to a calculator I found through this site.

I was thinking a need around 100k but wasn't sure. My neighbour has a heat pump but he's gone away and I don't wanna be snooping in his yard to see the BTU's. Lol will check with him also when he gets back but he only gets about 2hrs of sun on his pool whereas we get about 8hrs. We also have a solar blanket which is keeping the heat in at night.

Any others care to chime in?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.