Totally clueless. Any input is appreciated.

linen said:
Looking good! Did you do the OCLT and what were you results?
Thanks! This water is freaking beautiful now! I never thought my pool could look so good.

I didn't do an OCLT last night but I plan on doing it tonight. After I learned I had to shock the pool I told the kids they had a few hours of swimming time and I'd probably be working on it all night and Sunday. So, I let them play and then I shocked the P#%* out of it and tested every hour or so until I went to bed. Then when I woke up this morning and I got my pleasing results.

This pool looks like something out of a high-end hotel. I couldn't have done it without the help from everyone here. Hopefully I can start helping people soon too.

duraleigh said:
Nice work, htj, :lol:

Don't fret about the FC.........it'll drift down nicely over the next day or so.

1. You could either leave CYA right where it is or up it to 50ppm. If you stay open all year round in Houston, you will be wise to raise it to 50ppm. If you close the pool, you can wait 'til next Spring to do that.

Monitor your pH pretty carefully. Keep it down in the lower 7's because of your somewhat higher than normal CH. No need to adjust CH....just don't let your pH get high.
Thank ya sir. Good info.... I'll work on raising the CYA because we will probably leave it open all year round. I added baking soda as the pool calculator suggested so I'm going to see what that does for me besides screwing around with anything else.

First, I'm about to go enjoy a few cold beers in my new pool!

htownjeeper,

I think you need to understand the shocking process better. Reread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test. I do not believe you are done yet, and I sure wouldn't want to see that beautiful water cloudy.

htownjeeper said:
linen said:
So, I let them play and then I shocked the P#%* out of it and tested every hour or so until I went to bed. Then when I woke up this morning and I got my pleasing results.
You may have done an OLCT without knowing it. Did you take a test after (at least 30 minutes) your last chlorine addition last night? What was the first reading you took this morning before the sun was on the pool? If you have those numbers the difference will be you OCLT.

Please do not stop now, your pool maybe algae free, but I do not see the proof yet. From the shocking process documentation, you are not done shocking until:

1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
2. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
3. And the water is clear.

Even when the water is clear and CCs are low, you can still have algae that needs to be finished off!

Technically, linen is correct and, while not following procedures exactly can be a real problem, I think htj has an algae free pool.

I understand htj has not done a precise OCLT test yet (that we know of) but the clarity of his water. the cc's result and the FC results from this morning (plus a demonstrated tendency by htj towards accuracy) certainly indicates that he lost VERY little chlorine.

htj, I should point out I am not being "gushingly" kind to you but I am just saying that I have a feeling you have done all the right things and your pool is ready to be reduced to normal FC levels naturally.........3-5ppm.

Any remaining organics in the pool will likely be consumed over the next few days as his FC lowers.

htownjeeper,

Duraleigh is an expert, I am not. What he says goes!

Duraleigh,

Good points!

I was concerned because htownjeeper only has had the kit for a day, and yesterday reported 1.5 ppm of CCs. Not sure if I would stop shocking yet, if it were my pool...

htownjeeper said:
I haven't done the overnight test. Will do it tonight. I have done two complete tests today and three other FC tests. FC is still at 14 and CC still at .5. Thanks for all input good or critical.
Like I said above, Duraleigh is much more experienced than I. Not trying to be critical, but sometimes the excitement of clear water blinds people into thinking they are finished...sometimes they are not. Since you still have it at a decent high FC level, I wouldn't add anymore...should be high enough tonight for the OCLT. Just make sure you test after the sun goes down and before it shines on your pool and post the results.

htownjeeper said:
I read the article, and frankly I'm scared I'll mess something up. Probably just because I've never done it.

You won't hurt anything backwashing. The next time you are in the pool store pick up a DE scoop and a bag of DE unless the previous owner leftmsome for you. The scoop makes it easy to measure how much DE you are putting in when you recharge the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
htownjeeper said:
Just noticed i've been making tons of typos and capitalization errors. I'm not an idiot, it's been my fat fingers on the iphone!

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. My fat fingers had me on the wrong page on your thread. What gets me a lot on the iPhone is the auto correct, especially when I hit the letters n or b instead of the space bar. I look back and it puts up some crazy words when it is suppossed to be correcting me.

Ok, my FC is down to 8. We had a lot of people swimming during the day and it was very sunny until about 4 pm when the clouds showed up. Is that weird or acceptable? My CC is still at a weak .5 still. I'll do my next reading around 5:30 am.

Is that weird or acceptable?
htj,

Two things consume chlorine...sunlight and organics in your pool. Since you had sunlight on your pool and a heavy bather load (organics) the resultant loss can vary widely and don't really mean much. The purpose of the OCLT is to eliminate the variables like sunlight, bathers, etc and simply measure how much FC is lost in an empty pool with no sunlight on it.

No one (including you) can possibly know if your loss of 6ppm today is "normal".

What we (you) need to know is what happens to the pool when it is not subject to any other influence other than what organics (algae) remain in an unoccupied pool that receives no sunlight.

So, the only chlorine loss that is meaningful is what you lose when you perform the OCLT.

Ok guys, the OCLT has been performed to the letter of the law. FC is at 8 (at 7.5 (15 drops) it was close, but not 100% clear) and CC is still at .5. The CC in my opinion is probably lower than that because it barely turns pink, but I'll call it .5 as the instructions say.

What does everyone think?

1. CC is 0.5 or lower. - YES
2. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less.- YES
3. And the water is clear.-GOD YES!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.