Algae in my pool

Aug 1, 2011
I have owned my pool for about 10 yrs. we used chlorine free chemicals like pristine blue. I recently switched to the bbb method and love it but after about a week of 95 degree weather and high humidity I noticed little green flakes floatingf in the pool. I have shocked with chlorine bit they keep coming back. Is this alge and what am I not doing enough of or doing wrong.my ph and ta levels are where they should be at. its a 20 x 12 above ground doughboy.
I am still learning the bbb method so any help would be greatly appriciated.

thx Lana

Suziqzer said:
Never heard of algae flakes...

Do you use a pool cover/solar cover. If you do and it's an older one, it might be losing some pieces and sometimes they tend to float.

yes I use a solar cover, but I purchased it only a year ago, I took a look at it and it doesnt seem to be falling apart or look worn.

After only a year the cover should be fine. Was just my first thought.

Looks like you definately will need to go through the shock process since you're FC has managed to get to zero, plus the problems you've noted. First you'll want to get your ph down a bit to around 7.2 and you have to find out what your cya level is so you know how high you will need to get your FC to kill whatever you have going on in your pool.

I recommend your read "how to shock" in the pool school section of the forum. Also.. get yourself a good test kit... You'll be glad you did! Best investment you can make!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.