Algae Question

apwelb

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2011
Apple Valley, MN
Well, turned out I had a crummy week last week. I wasn't home for 3 days and am still battling the algae, though it is better.

The question I have is last night I tested it and it was at 11 ppm. I used the calculator to bring it up to 16.

Woke up this morning, tested it and was still at 16 (32 drops). The thing is, there was algae on the liner in a few small places which I brushed off, and am now vacumming.

I added 3 quarts of bleach just to elevate this morning (added 3 gallons 1 quart last night) but I am kind of puzzled by the fact my Cl held so well last night.

Could it be because I have basically killed what algae is floating around in the water but because of the slime coat of the algae which is basically shielding it from the Cl when it is on the liner need to keep dispersing it (brushing and vacuuming) to get it all?

I thought for sure I would have woken up this morning to Cl around 11-12 and was really surprised.

On a positive note, I will have a nice cool cloudy day today to wage war and plan to hold shock levels for the next 2 days running to chase this thing out of here.

Could be a couple of things: Your pool isn't as big as you think so you overdosed; Your bleach is fresh and stronger than you think so you overdosed; or you're right and the slime coat is protecting the algae the way it's supposed to.

Brush and bleach!

How does the water look, or how did it look before you brushed all the algae off the wall?

Gray and clearing. Now after brushing it is more of a green tint but I will test Cl again about an hour after vacuuming and see where I am at.

How do I tell the difference between mustard, green, and yellow algae? I have some color blindness but what I have appears to be light green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.