Whether to get the Hayward Sense and Dispense system

newbiepool

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Richmond VA
Re: Sense and Dispense ORP Issue

I am about to install a new pool this week and one of the questions I keep going back and fourth on whether to get the Hayward Sense and Dispense system. My dealer says that the CO2 system is being phased out and that Hayward is recommending the acid feed system for PH. I have read that there are lots of issues with the ORP for Chlorine as well. My dealer said he has the Aqua Rite Pro without the sense and dispense on his own pool. So I need help! Any recommendations? I am trying to pick low maintenance, but don't want to pay for a system and I ended up doing what the system is suppose to do.

I am about to install a new pool this week and one of the questions I keep going back and fourth on whether to get the Hayward Sense and Dispense system. My dealer says that the CO2 system is being phased out and that Hayward is recommending the acid feed system for PH. I have read that there are lots of issues with the ORP for Chlorine as well. My dealer said he has the Aqua Rite Pro without the sense and dispense on his own pool. So I need help! Any recommendations? I am trying to pick low maintenance, but don't want to pay for a system and I ended up doing what the system is suppose to do.

I would skip the Sense and Dispense portion of the system. Simple percentage based automation works quite well, while ORP automation tends to have lots and lots of problems. It is simpler, more reliable, and less expensive to simply skip the automation. Even when ORP automation works correctly, it ends up being more work, as the sensors need cleaning occasionally, acid tank needs refilling and so on.

PH automation can be handy if you have very high TA fill water. Otherwise, it is simply a matter of balancing your levels correctly, and nearly all PH problems are gone and the PH will remain stable. I haven't need to add any acid in over a year even though I have a SWG.

If by granules you mean dry acid, then no, I recommend using muriatic acid, which is less expensive, though somewhat more of a pain to work with. If you granules, you mean granular chlorine, typically dichlor, then no I don't recommend using that either.

I am going to use the aqua rite pro salt system for the chlorine. By granules I mean for acid. i rad that regardless of method of delivery there is a big issue of messing up the vinyl liner. Any words of wisdom on how to do this? Is there something i need the installer to put in before i find out the hard way?

If using dry acid, pre-dissolve in a bucket before adding. In either case pour slowly in front of a return jet while the pump is running. You never want undissolved granules sitting on the bottom of the pool and you never want to add acid when the pump is off.

I have some comments about the sense and dispense system elsewhere. In short, the pH part works very well and I'm very happy with it. I previously struggled with high pH and now I don't. As Jason said you have to clean the sensors occasionally (maybe once or twice a year). I had to recalibrate the pH probe once because the readings were off from multiple test kits.

As far as ORP: follow the guidance of a lot of people on TFP and don't use it. It's horrible and doesn't work. My FC levels varied widely between 0 and 16. I was always doing something to try and correct for it not working properly. And when it went to 0 I had different problems I had to clean up with help from TFP.

I spoke to several people at Hayward who couldn't seem to understand why sense and dispense didn't work. Rather than push the issue about the money I'd just spent, I gave up. It wasn't worth the hassle anymore. I turned off the ORP sensor and just went to % chlorine. Lots less fuss. Life is more peaceful. Pool is more swimmable. I still have to adjust the % level probably once a week a little up or down to keep FC where I want it. Even though ORP is off, the sensor still runs and can give you ORP alarms.

Red said:
I have some comments about the sense and dispense system elsewhere. In short, the pH part works very well and I'm very happy with it. I previously struggled with high pH and now I don't. As Jason said you have to clean the sensors occasionally (maybe once or twice a year). I had to recalibrate the pH probe once because the readings were off from multiple test kits.

As far as ORP: follow the guidance of a lot of people on TFP and don't use it. It's horrible and doesn't work. My FC levels varied widely between 0 and 16. I was always doing something to try and correct for it not working properly. And when it went to 0 I had different problems I had to clean up with help from TFP.

I spoke to several people at Hayward who couldn't seem to understand why sense and dispense didn't work. Rather than push the issue about the money I'd just spent, I gave up. It wasn't worth the hassle anymore. I turned off the ORP sensor and just went to % chlorine. Lots less fuss. Life is more peaceful. Pool is more swimmable. I still have to adjust the % level probably once a week a little up or down to keep FC where I want it. Even though ORP is off, the sensor still runs and can give you ORP alarms.

Hi Red,

How long have you had the Sense & Dispense?
Have you had to replace the pH probe yet?
Do you know how much the replacements are?
How are you dispensing the Acid? Stenner pump/tank?

The sense and dispense has been running about a year and a half. I haven't had to replace the pH probe, only clean it. I don't know how long they last, but I've heard they're expensive.

Offhand, I wasn't certain what a stenner pump is. I googled to find out. I guess Stenner is a brand name of peristaltic pump. I have a peristaltic pump for the acid dispenser. It's mounted on a tank.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.