Indiana Hill Billy pool dig...with pics!

This post is quite embarrassing :oops: as we have had a few mistakes because we are NOT professional pool builders. Still, against my husbands wishes I have chosen to share them because this is a learning forum (for us anyway). Plus, it falls in line with the Hill Billy theme! So, learn, don't judge, but do feel free to laugh with us!

Disclaimer: Please note that the term 'we' is used frequently. If it required manual labor, it didn't include me. If it involved a mistake, I accept responsibility so as not to throw my husband under the bus.

We were really looking forward to this week because we would finally get a sense of the pool after we pour the rest of the steps. We learned a lot of lessons about concrete. Mostly through trial and error...well, mostly error. A few weeks ago we poured the footer and base step. We learned that the forms really have to be solid. Ours were not and the bottom step bowed pretty badly. This week, we felt we did better on the forms. Turns out, not so much. After filling the forms about 3/4 of the way, the forms started to bow. Since we couldn't trust the forms, we declined to vibrate them and ended up with some voids that we will fill later.

stepspour001.jpg

In this pic you can see how much the top step is bowed before cutting it back. Previously, all this steps were this way. Please note a person is facing away from the camera to protect his identity. This may or may not be my husband. :wink:

stepspour004.jpg

In order to fix this debacle, my husband ran down to our local medieval-torture rental store and picked up this saw from the Freddie Krueger section. I asked him to take a before pic of the steps. As an afterthought, I also requested a before pic of his arms. I was very stressed out over this piece of machinery and thus had to go get my hair done so I wouldn't stand at the edge of the pool screaming at him to be careful. Yea, tough morning for me. I just noticed my son's plastic shield and sword at the corner of the picture. Even he knew this machine looked medieval!

stepspour005.jpg

After trimming. Relax everyone, no one went to the hospital today!

stepspour008.jpg

He spent about six hours trimming the steps...in the pouring rain. The neighbor came to see the progress and so lovingly sprayed the concrete muck off him with a freezing hose. He is a real go getter! We really appreciate the lengths he has gone to give us this family oasis!

Was it not a good idea to form the steps out of the concrete blocks the same way the wall was formed? I'm curious as to whether or not this is just a personal choice, or if there's a legitimate concern in building pool steps out of concrete blocks.

certainly we could have. We just figured we would have to have the concrete truck out regardless. In hind sight we would have done it in block. We just didn't anticipate the problems with the forms. Our next pool will be perfect!

Wow, your husband is a real trooper! He's really putting himself into this pool, your family is fortunate to have such a great man.
A few little mistakes on the first attempt at such a large job is to be expected, I made a few on mine and it was no where near as complicated at yours, it looks likes he's doing an awesome job!! Keep the pics coming.

I had bronchitis several months back - it was awful, and stayed with me for quite some time. I have a new appreciation for how extreme coughing could kill the elderly, I coughed so much I thought I was going to die.

he is fine tuning the steps some more. Yes, it will have to be custom. I am hoping to order the liner before 2013! Actually, I think it will be ordered by Monday. We are supposed to be back in 80 deg weather next week so it will be perfect for the liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are within days of ordering our liner. :whoot: Originally, we were advised to go with the 20 mil liner because when using a pool kit, it allows more stretch to accommodate any variations in the dig. However, we decided to do a custom liner. Now, we are wondering if we should go for the 28 mil liner because it is more durable. Is it safe to do the 28 since we will be able to measure the hole exactly or do we really need a more pliable liner because we are not pros?

All liners are fairly flexible no matter how thick they are. Also I bet you'll be able to measure that pool better than most pool stores would do it. Just get the point of references from the liner mfg and measure carefully more than once.

My wife is usually the one posting. I'm the faceless hillbilly doing all of the manual labor. I Can say without a doubt this is the single most difficult project i have ever undertaken, and i have done a lot of projects. I think all of the concrete aspects and excavation have been the hardest so far, both of which i have previously not undertaken before this project. Prior to this i knew virtually nothing about concrete. I'm getting lots of "experience"!! :blah: Right now i'm fighting to get the liner installed before the cold weather sets in. I've been very busy at work and i coach football 530-730 4 nights a week. games are either sat or sun so finding time has been rough this week. The rain has been a hindrance. I have pumped that pool 10 times. The vermiculite made cleaning it out lots faster. Plumbing is done mostly. Did pressure test return side held well. next onto the inlet. I have it scheduled to work on the Electrical to the pad this week end and hope fully tomorrow i can get off work early and get the base for the auto cover vault formed and poured so i can block up the walls over the weekend. I made a lot of mistakes on those darn steps. I am curious if i have blundered by making the top step so when the pool is full their is only 2 inches of water on them. I didn't think of that until they were poured. I'm worried the liner may float from inadequate pressure on the top step. I appreciate all of you on the site. I never would have tried it without you. This is a great resource. Thanks to all Pics of latest progress soon. hopefully liner install pics shortly thereafter. Pray for me!

I have full end stairs with a vinyl liner and there's never more than a couple inches of water covering the top step and I have not had any issues.

One thing I did notice is that after trimming the stairs back you are left with what looks like a dangerously narrow tread area on that 2nd step.
stepspour005.jpg

Excellent work, and A+ for the effort! There's nothing like the pleasure you get AFTER you work your rear off on a project, and you can enjoy the fact that you did it. You and your family will be able to look back on a great experience - and the mishaps add to the memory as well (at least afterwards anyways). That may be as meaningful as the fun of using the pool itself. Maybe...

I can remember my first job laying tile in a our (my) DIY kitchen renovation. It was a large floor, and I got a little ahead of myself floating the grout. At 3:00 am (on a work night) I had to wake my wife and ask her to run to the store to get more kitchen-scrubbies (sponges) because I was desperately scrubbing grout off the tiles before it could harden, and I had already used up two of the three sponges we had at the sink. She was not amused!

Sounds like you are burning the candle at both ends (and in the middle too). Hang in there! And please don't hurt yourself.

Oh, and thanks A LOT for posting all your progress and lessons learned!!

Thanks for the encouragement! That is good news about the liner not floating. I do see where the second steps looks like a doosey. That pic was before the riser on the top step was trimmed. Here is a new pic where the steps all measure the same.

bodyfiller.jpg

The rollercoaster of plumbing.

plumbing.jpg

Here I am doing my daily job of scooping out water with a coffee cup while the mystery hill billy takes a pic.

ladle.jpg

Pool is looking good! lots of work going into it there.
I will not buy a pool from those folks as their website says "All Polar Pools are complete packages that include, all items necessary to build your dream pool.* (since they told you they dont include it all) my guess is they screwed up the order and didnt want to fix it.

Re: Indiana Hillbilly pool dig...with pics!

This is the faceless hillbilly again. I was going through the custom liner order form and came across the step section. It had some things i was unfamiliar with, so what are rod pockets, Nailer flaps and a beaded step retention system? How do you attach the bead retainer to the step? Pics would be nice. I know i need at least one of them. LOL! This project is nearing conclusion :party: at least for my part. Thank goodness!!!! I'm going to sub all the decking. I do not have the experience or manpower to do it myself. I want nothing to do with pouring the deck!!!! Thanks in advance for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.