Steps floating

Jul 24, 2011
This is my first post, so not sure I am in the right forum.

My problem is that I just put in a new AG pool (replaced old one that had ladder) with steps. I can't get the steps to keep from floating up at the bottom. Tried filling with water, no good. Instructions say sand, but not crazy about sand in the pool and how heavy that would make them when we take them out in the winter. I've seen a few things on here about jugs and PVS with concrete inside.

This link on the forum shows pictures:
what-to-use-to-hold-steps-down-inside-pool-t12647-20.html

Does this seem to still be the best way to anchor them?
Thanks for any help.
Sherri

If the instructions call for sand, fill them with plain old sand filter sand and follow the instructions :lol: . I have two 50lb bags in our steps and no floating or sand in the pool :goodjob:

I just installed my pool to deck steps this weekend. I wasn't crazy about using sand either, but I followed the instructions and added "10-15 lbs in each side". I then held the steps down and waited for the rest to fill with water, again per instructions. The steps still would not stay down on their own. I got in the pool and layed the steps down sideways so they were 100% under water. This helped all of the remaining air to escape. That did it. They are still very light in the water, right on the verge of floating, but they don't. There are a few factory holes in the part of the steps that they wanted me to fill with sand. Small holes, probably about 1/16" or so. I went under water and watched sandy colored water escaping from the holes. This annoyed me because i thought it was going to behave that way for a long time......a lot of sand in the steps now. It didn't. That stopped within 10 minutes.

So, my advice would be to just do what the directions say. Good luck!

My steps have a nice "tray" area at the bottom where I put 3x 4" PVC tubes (~1.5' long) filled with sand and topped off w/ water. It took a few minutes of adjusting and careful placement to not bump them into the liner, but they've been working great all season.

(one end is capped and the other has a screw on top)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.