Dane's "How To" for a quick & easy pool cooler

fireman00 said:
FramerTim said:
OK. After reading all the posts about fountains, I decided to make my own.

1 - 10' section 1 1/2" PVC
2 - 1 1/2" slip Tee
1 - 1 1/2" ball valve
2 - 1 1/2" caps

I only have one return and am using a Hayward 1 1/2" HP pump
After finding proper connection to fit pool return I attached my fountain to the center tee.
I placed a ball valve at the bottom so I could regulate the spray height or turn it off completely.
I drilled about 25 1/16" holes in each of the pipes across top
Because the fountain doesn't stick up more then about 5 inches above the water, I don't have to worry about my kids breaking it (I used long zip ties to secure the top section to the side of the pool)
I was able to get my fountain to spray about 4 feet above the pool surface into the middle of the pool.
My pool temp was 94 at 6pm. the next day my pool temp was 90 at 6pm on the third day the temp was 86.
The temp outside has been a pretty constant high of about 105 every day.
I have been running it at night for about 8 hours.
I am using the valve as a kind of thermostat to regulate how cool I want the pool to be. The higher the spray then the cooler it gets. I couldn't be more pleased

I like this design! I'm off to the Depot tomorrow for parts. I"m going to try a 90 degree elbow at the bottom. I'm thinking that if I set it to point to one side I'll get a nice counter clock-wise swirl if/ when I open the Tee. Good for when I add chlorine.

I just got my second set of Intermatic timer tabs so I can run the filter from noon to 4 pm - to turn over the pool then again from 10 pm to 6 am to cool things off.
No need to turn over the water 2 times. Just run your pump at night, you'll get the cooling and filtering all at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.