Pump getting hot

kcjonz

Mar 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I've seen some discussions on here regarding pumps over heating but still can't determine if mine is shot. I have a AO Smith B945 dual speed motor. Today I came home and it was not running during a scheduled run time. It heard it clicking trying to turn back on. It was extremely hot. It will start run for 4-5 seconds then shut off on high. It will start up and run for 20-30 minutes on low, but has a burning electrical smell. After it shuts off then cools down, you can hear a click in the motor at which point I can turn it back on.

I checked voltage at the Intermatic controller and everything seems fine.

Any ideas if this may be capacitor(s), impeller or just a totally bad motor. Or simply the heat outside which in the high 90s with 70-80 humidity. I just bought the house 2.5 years ago and I'm guessing the pump is at least 7-8 years old.

It sounds like the motor has failed and is tripping the thermal overload. You can try replacing the capacitor but if it's happened a few times it's most likely got the windings. I'd just replace the motor in kind and then you know it'll be fine.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing. Especially since I have no idea how old the motor is. I kind like the piece of mind to know about my equipment, I think that might be worth the couple hundred dollars for the new motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.