Copper Scaling Process Question

Aug 9, 2009
After using Jack's Magic test kit, it was determined that stains in my pool are due to copper scaling. After getting the chemistry of my pool into the correct range, I started using Jack's Magic Solution #2 yesterday afternoon. I am already seeing a tremendous difference in the stains. However, the pressure on my pool filter is up to 30. I normally backwash it around 20. In looking at the directions for this product it says to clean the filter after 1 week. My question is, I have only been running this process for 1 day and my filter indicates I should backwash it and start over. Is it OK to do so and will it effect the copper stain removal process that I am working on? Is there anything else i should follow up with if I backwash? Anything else I should know? Jack's Magic is closed or I would call them.

16,000 gallon pool
Plaster
DE Filter

Anything else you need to know?

Welcome to TFP!

Jack's wants you to clean the filter at least once week, even if it doesn't otherwise need to be cleaned. You should clean the filter now, and as often as is required by the pressure going up, but never less often than once a week during the treatment.

Thanks. I will head out and backwash it now.

I have been a member of this forum since I bought my house with a pool and up until now I have been able to find all of my answers by searching the forum. Thanks so much for such a great resource!!!

I backwashed yesterday and I need to do it again today. This tells me that something must be happening in the filtration process. The pool is looking better, slow but sure. My concern now is, with backwashing it two days in a row (and many more, who knows...) should I be adding any blue stuff back in to keep the ratio of the sequestering agent high? I just want to make sure that back washing it frequently isn't going to lower the effectiveness of the product in the pool.

Thanks,

Adding a little more sequestrant won't hurt, but I doubt that it is required this soon. Backwashing once a day won't have that much effect on sequestrant in only two days. The effects will accumulate over time, but it is only day two so no need to worry about that just yet.

Something is getting removed from the water, probably some combination of calcium, sequestrant, and metals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.