Pump run time question

tcm

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 12, 2011
Brookeland, Texas
Assuming electrical consumption is a factor but not my main concern, which would be better for pool circulation:
1: Run pump at higher speed for shorter period of time.
2: Leave pump running at slower speeds 24/7.
3: Something in between.

I have a large pool with 5 returns, 2 skimmers and a raised spa that has 1 common return in it that allows water to circulate thru it during normal pool filtration modes. At lower pump speeds I don't get much water thru the spa return eye ball due to it being higher then the returns in the pool. I have put smaller eyeballs in the pool returns which helps some but not sure if it is still getting enough water circulating thru the spa. Also concerned that may not be getting enough water movement to stir things up in the pool at lower speeds & move things towards the skimmers.

As far as electrical usage, it definitely is cheaper to run the pump slower for longer periods of time, which is certainly a good thing but I don't want to sacrifice my water quality to save a few bucks.

I run mine prior to using the pool (to clean any leaves) and at night when I use shock/chlorine as im told its good to circulate water while using chemicals so they dont sit and eat your pool. I personally dont ever leave it on 24/7 unless im cleaning algae/massive dirt. I get very good turnover with a huge amount of water circulation so I dont think its necessary to run it all the time. How does your water look? If its clean what could you possibly want when there is no dirt. If your chemical levels are good algae should not be able to start if you run the pump at least once per day like for 6-8 hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.