shocking question?

drg

Jun 24, 2011
Using the BBB method with regard to shocking
cya 80
fc 8
Shock level is 31

My question is do I subtract the already fc of 8 from 31 and raise it 23, or do I add raise it 31 over the already fc level of 8.

Also how often do you need to shock..I know its basic questions, trying to get away from the Wally World of doing things Thanks and HAPPY 4TH

Use the Pool Calculator, enter pool gallons at top, other details at bottom. In NOW column for FC, enter 8.0, for TARGET enter 31.0. It will tell you how much bleach or whatever chemical you select, to use to add the 23 ppm you need to get from 8 to 31

You will want to consider going over 31, since you want to keep it at 31 all the time, never below. So go to 34 or something, so that you have some chance of keeping it at shock value as organics consume the chlorine.

Also how often do you need to shock..I know its basic questions...
Good question and one that is almost always misunderstood by newbies learning the BBB method.

We only shock our pool when the pool needs it, ie CC 1.0 or more, cloudy water, flat looking water, green water, some reasons are very obvious :)

But, when we do need to shock, it is a process and not a one time event. IOW, we bring the water to shock level and maintain that shock level as best as we can until we meet three criteria. The three criteria tell us when we are done shocking: See Red lines in my sig.

In case you haven't seen it, here's a link to "How to Shock Your Pool" in Pool School:
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Thanks for the replies , I knew there was someplace on how to I just couldn't get the brain to find it, trying to get the learning curve going with this and once I figure it all out its goodbye to those pucks...This is a great forum, and its people lilke you all that make it that way

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.