Electric charge around pool

patod

Mar 27, 2010
So yesterday we had a power outage at our house. I haven't found out for sure, but I think it had to do with the transformer out in front of our house. The power company came and got the power going again. Last evening when we went to go swimming we could feel a charge when touching the cement around the edge of the pool. I shut off the power to the pool related equipment, which have their own breaker box. This morning I did not notice and charge around the pool. I then turned on each breaker and rechecked. I do not notice the problem now. I have an outlet by the pool that I opened up and checked and it looked ok. The only other thing I did was tighten up a ground wire screw that seemed loose that grounded the pool cover pump motor, which is by the house along with the other equipment and not the pool. I do have two pool lights, only one that works currently, but it has been that way all season. The charge I felt was like a tingling sensation, not a strong shock.
Does anybody have an idea what was going on? Could it have been related to the power outage?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat

That was most likely directly related to the power outage. If a high voltage wire fell and was touching the ground it could have been running current through the ground, which you were feeling by the pool. That also means that your bonding system is not working correctly, since a properly installed bonding system should prevent you from feeling a shock even if there are currents flowing through the ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.