Pool issues, need some help and advice.

Jun 27, 2011
I have an above ground Fox Pool. It came with an inground type skimmer. The screws are rusting and they dont appear to be Stainless. Also there is only one screw on each side holding the skimmer in place, is this correct, since there looks like 3 screw holes?
[attachment=0:1kxd5ekp]pool-skimmer-002.JPG[/attachment:1kxd5ekp]

[attachment=1:1kxd5ekp]pool-skimmer-001.JPG[/attachment:1kxd5ekp]

Attachments

• pool-skimmer-001.JPG
    pool-skimmer-001.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 208
  • pool-skimmer-002.JPG
    pool-skimmer-002.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 208
That screw is wrong in several ways and suggests to me that it is an unsuitable replacement screw and the other screws really are there and simply don't protrude out of their holes. Check the pool side of the skimmer and I suspect you will see all six screw heads.

I will have to look at the skimmer again, but it came from Fox Pool and is an ingroud skimmer.

I do believe I saw 6 screws on the inside of the skimmer.

I will double check all this evening when I get home.

Thanks for your help.

The skimmer is a Waterway 519-6400, that is what's stamped in the plastic on the skimmer.

I have attached two more pictures. One that shows the plate on the inside of the pool has four screws going in the vertical directions. You can also see from that picture where they replaced the screws as they were rusting. They blamed it on poor water quality, whats your thoughts on this?

The second picture with the arrow shows the wood type screw head protruding through the pool wall and making the liner bulge (about 1/4") at the screw head. This is the screw from my first post that I was referencing was stainless and/or installed correctly.

Looks like my installer did not do it correctly, especially the screw head bulge in the liner.

I also have some other issues that I will post here with my pool and get your thoughts.

[attachment=1:1k65k2t4]DSC05972-w.jpg[/attachment:1k65k2t4]
[attachment=0:1k65k2t4]DSC05973-w1.jpg[/attachment:1k65k2t4]

Attachments

• DSC05972-w.jpg
    DSC05972-w.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC05973-w1.jpg
    DSC05973-w1.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 154
That's what I expected to see. I hate it but that's going to have to be fixed. What happened is they put the wood screw through to temporarly hold the skimmer in place and then forgot to remove it and replace it with the correct screw.

They blame the screws rusting from my poor water quality. My water has been crystal clear since day one. Also the top four screws would only really get water from splashing/rain. They are not submerged in the pool water 24/7.

1) So shouldnt the pool company replace my face plate to?

So its clear that the skimmer is not installed 100% correctly, as the screw heads are bulging my liner out.

2) They should also have to fix this to?

69developer said:
They blame the screws rusting from my poor water quality. My water has been crystal clear since day one. Also the top four screws would only really get water from splashing/rain. They are not submerged in the pool water 24/7.

1) So shouldnt the pool company replace my face plate to?

So its clear that the skimmer is not installed 100% correctly, as the screw heads are bulging my liner out.

2) They should also have to fix this to?

"They blame the screws rusting from my poor water quality." is what I like to call horse hockey. They should replace your face plate and reinstall with proper screws to fasten it into place.

Welcome to TFP!!

The only problem I see with their using the IG skimmer is that they mounted it (and used wood screws to do it) :hammer: AG skimmers don't need to be mounted, the faceplate screws hold it in place. The only thing this really effects is it makes replacing the skimmer a lot more difficult.

One thing I'd do is cut off the exposed part of the wood screw (do you really want to have to go get a tetanus shot because you accidentally cut yourself on it?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.