Need to Always Backwash

Your pump is a little oversized, and that isn't great for the filter. But that has nothing to do with your problem with the heater. If you install a smaller pump the filter will be better off, but the heater will get even less flow and probably won't work even when the filter is completely clean.

Is this system brand new, or did it used to work before? If new, how long are the pipe runs between the pump/filter and the pool? Also what model of heater do you have?

It is still important to post a complete set of water test results, as that might be affecting things as well.

The girl at pentair said that my flow rate will be better with a smaller pump......? could someone confirm?

This system is new from last july. Always needed to backwash often.
pipe are around 25 feet long from skimmer to pump...

My heater is a summit sum3

I will post water test this evening but last test everything was great.

I called my vender he will check to give me a price to change pump, should I change pump, impeller or laterals in filter to normal ones?

I just want to fix my problem....I'm tired to always need to backwash.

Thanks again...

A smaller pump will give less water flow, 100% sure. The filter pressure won't be as high, but the heater doesn't care about that.

The Summit sum3 is a very small heater, which doesn't need much water flow to work correctly. They actually require a bypass to reduce the flow going to the heater when the pump exceeds 3/4 HP. Do you have a bypass installed around the heater? If so, perhaps it is not adjusted correctly. If you don't have a bypass, are you sure you aren't getting a too much flow error? What is the exact error message?

Yes I have a bypass as you can see on top of my filter.

I did water test
Ph 7.8
CL 1.0
Alcanality 90
Calcium 0

Even when I put my robot (Kreepy Kraly) it works for aroud 15 minutes, then stop moving I need to backwash again.

Nobody thinks it as something to do with the ClearPro Technology filter that it clogs to quickly and need to backwash more often.

Should I call the guy of the heater to check to flow switch in the heater....

Again thanks all of you for your support.

Nothing suggests a problem with the filter. You have a fairly large pump and relatively small pipes so your pressure is naturally high. There is nothing unusual about that.

I see four ball valves with red handles at more or less the height of the top of the filter, but they are not setup in a normal bypass configuration. Where is the heater plumbed in? Do the two pieces of flex that come down and go through the wall connect to the heater? Are you aware that both of those valves are off in the photo, which would mean no flow to the heater? Even if they were turned on, I wouldn't expect there to be enough flow to the heater because there is nothing to restrict the straight through flow, so most of the water will just go straight through and bypass the heater anyway.

How did you arrive at those test results?

What is your CYA level?

What does your water look like?

I think you should UNfocus on the clearpro laterals and get thinking about what is clogging your filter. It doesn't make sense to me that a company would INTENTIONALLY manufacture a product that doesn't work.

My stabilizer is at 0
My water is amazing

Yesterday 8pm I vaccum ( little dirt in the deep end) did a 4 minutes backwash 1 minute rinse.
Filter pressure was a 23 psi after.
This morning 6am FLO message on heater (Filter pressure was 27 psi pressure in return pool so-so not enough for vaccum)
FLO message
Meaning of codes:
Possible Causes:
- The FIL parameter must always be set to OFF (does not know what it meens)
- The filter is in backwash position (NO)
- The filter pump is stopped (NO)
- The filter is dirty (Maybe after backwash everything worked again)
- Shortage of water pool pump (NO)
- Water pressure switch must be adjusted or is broken (I don't think so because when I have message flow is not strong enough to vaccum or to use robot)
- The unit is in protection mode and will show FL3 press any key to restart the unit (NO)

The guy who install the pool will come and see the pool Thursday, but does not understand, because he says if everything runs find on recirculate it should not be a plumbing problem. What do you think?

I've attached picture with details, in picture I was not passing from the heater I was doing some tests.
The heater is just on the right side of the filter outside the shed.

Thanks again to all of you!

Attachments

• PoolFilter.jpg
    PoolFilter.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 74

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've never put calcium.....

I don't think my problem is with the water, is the fact that as soon as I get 3 psi of pressure (few hours after backwash), the heater does not have enough flow, the robot (kreepy Krauly) will not work....

If I vaccum manually I need to backwash at least twice....

How come the flow drops so fast after a backwash?

Again on recirculate it works great.

Yes, that answers my questions, thank you. I believe what is going on in your pool is called and nascent algae bloom. It is just on the verge of erupting, but you have just enough chlorine to keep it at bay. Your filter is catching those small algae bodies and the algae will continue to grow in the pool, since you do not have enough chlorine in the water to kill it.

Please read how to shock your pool and conduct the shock process as specified. For now only add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. That will protect your chlorine from the sun so it will be effective against algae longer. I recommend you not use the SWG during the shock process to protect the longevity of your cell. You will need copious amounts of liquid chlorine, either 6% plain unscented bleach or the liquid chlorine sold in pool stores to clear your pool. Bypass the heater during the shock process if you can, and run the pump and filter 24/7, backwashing as needed.

Edit: Your filter is filling up with algae and it is being backwashed away. When you bypass the filter and recirculate, no algae is getting caught in the filter. Eventually, the algae will multiply enough that it will overrun SWG and your water will turn green. Your SWG at 40% should be producing chlorine greater than 1 ppm. The additional chlorine is being consumed by fighting the algae.

Hi everyone,

So finally we realise that my pump was to strong for my filter (Tagelus TA60 with clearpro) and it had clogged the laterals of the clearpro.

So pentair send me new laterals, and a 3/4 HP impeller that I changed.

Now filter is running at 14 psi since 3 days, and I`ve used my kreepy krawly for 5 hours, and added a bag of salt and it is now maybe at 14.5, heater is running fine, flow is fine.

So the moral of this story is you should never use any pump more then 55GPM with a Tagelus TA60 with clearpro because it will clogged the clearpro technology laterals.

If I see any degradation during the summer I will post over here.

So to all I wish you a great summer and thank you for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.