Denver, Colorado
I tested on 5/29 to the following:
FC 3
PH 7.5
ALK 50
CAL 50
CYA 0
Salt 850
Added CYA, a tiny bit of baking soda and Borax and my ALK and CAL actually dropped to 30 for both.

I know ALK and CAL aren't important to an AGP with a vinyl liner, but I'm wondering how those low results affect the feel of water on the skin after you get out of the pool as I really want to improve that. I've have added salt the past 2 summers and I think it may be a tad easier on the eyes, but believe I am getting some rust where the track meets the sides on the bottom and am concerned about that.

Can the low ALK and Cal feel bad on the skin?

The alkalinity does matter to an AGP. Your's is a little low. It should be about 70 or so unless you're using tablets. Though it odesn't look like you are.

Salt is reported to improve the fell of the water.

I'm using the drop based kit I got from Ben's site oh, 5 years ago, and regular bleach. The fas-dpd and cya tests are of course new, but the Alk and Cal are from the original. The kit is stored in a basement closet except for the first week we open the pool when it comes up to the kitchen. I was wondering if it was too old. My Alk and Cal have always been low but I guess it's time to get a new kit. Thanks.

Just received my TF-100 refill kit:

FC 2.5 - added CL to get to 4

CYA 30

PH 7.3+ - added Borax yesterday to bring it up to 7.5 but it's down again. Does adding Borax so frequently make the water harsh on the skin?

CAL 20 - ANY reason to bring this up at all in my AG vinyl pool for the best feeling/least drying water?

ALK 30 - So I want to bring the TA up to 60 slowly, right? A couple years ago I had to add acid frequently. Must have overdone the baking soda that year and I don't want to go there again.

Borax is fine. You probably won't add enough to be noticeable, but if you do most people consider it an improvement to have borates in the water.

There is no reason to raise the calcium level unless you have a warranty in effect that requires it.

Yes, raise the TA (alkalinity) to at least 60 soon. There is no need to do so slowly. TA calculations are easy and relatively accurate and overshooting a little is no big deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.