OH my i need help !! New pool,first fill, well water, etc

Ok so the pools still green and cloudy , i put about 5 bottles of 6% bleach into the pool the last two days and u still cant even smell the chlroine, i believe you should at least smell a little chlorine on your body when you get out of the pool correct ? im thinking i dont have enough in there, anyways i let the leslies pool guy talk me into buying there 25 dollar test kit saying thats what they use but it sucks so i just bout the one off here for 68 bucks, hopefully that will get here quick and i can give you guys some numbers, any ideas while i wait ? i was gonna drop a few more bottles of bleach in and see what happens ???

tillys26,

Actually, when you smell "chlorine" in your pool, that usually means that there is not enough chlorine in your pool. I know that sounds very strange and paradoxical, but it is true. The smell that you associate with "chlorine" is actually the smell of chlroramines, which is used-up, combined chlorine - i.e. chlorine that has given its life for your pool and is no longer available for duty.

It will be very hard for you to get your pool clear without the test kit (or Taylor equivalent) so you can keep up with your pool chemistry yourself.

Good luck.

Titanium

Tillys26, Please go back to the previous page and read MBar's (Marie) response.

Good to know that you ordered the TF water test kit because, IMHO, you will now be on the road to recovery :).

BTW, the only time we have smelled 'chlorine' was when our pool was a.....green swamp... eating some organic stink-o-stuff :shock: YUK! But, that has not happened since the BBB method! :p...(almost two years ago),

Good luck. I hope Dave reads your thread and sends your test kit by air.....maybe he'll bring it himself! :shock:

Anyway, try to get some numbers to post, even from the pool store, any numbers 'til your kit gets there.

And, if I smell chlorine in any pool, I would not get the water.....I would get my test kit :twisted:

Take care and good luck.

Joyce

OMG i am soooo lost, i just put in more chlorine, about 8 more gallons of it, i dont know what to do , my pb tells me thursday after putting one gallon in that he will be back monday ??? ridiculous, anyways ive been brushing, vaccuming,running the filter 24.7 and backwashing every day and the green color is still not goin anywhere . My test kit that i bought from leslies only goes to 5 on the chlorine, and thats of course where its at, the ph was about 7.5 and the alkalinity was about 60-70. By the way marie went on vacation but im waiting to hear back from her for what to do , she suggested starting by putting bout 7 gallons of bleach when she left and thats what i did but havent seen any results so i put a few more tonight,hopefully thats not a bad thing, someone told me you cant put to much bleach , and if you think you do just wait for the sun to evaporate it ? Hopefully my tft test kit comes priority mail :)

Ok here are my test results from my subpar test kit til my new one off here comes in , any suggestions , the pools cleared up some , i can start to see the turtle a little better in the shallow end , filters been running 24.7
FC-5
TC-5
CC-0
PH-7.5
TA-90

The number one thing you can do is to get a better test kit (or head off to a pool store to get them to test the water a number of times). You need to properly shock the pool, but you can't do that without knowing your CYA level and being able to reliably measure FC levels well above 5. I suggest the TF Test Kit, see the link in my signature, though the Taylor K-2006 would also be fine.

Other than that, keep running the filter, keep the FC level from going too low, and tell us what the water looks like.

JasonLion said:
The number one thing you can do is to get a better test kit (or head off to a pool store to get them to test the water a number of times). You need to properly shock the pool, but you can't do that without knowing your CYA level and being able to reliably measure FC levels well above 5. I suggest the TF Test Kit, see the link in my signature, though the Taylor K-2006 would also be fine.

Other than that, keep running the filter, keep the FC level from going too low, and tell us what the water looks like.

Thanks jason , i ordered the tf test kit sat but it wont be here im figuring til prob fri or so, since its coming ups. It has cleared up some but is still sweeping up brown clouds , my pb said that with zeobrite in the sandfilter that i shouldnt put any filter aid in ? whats your take on that ? and

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
what do you think i should do about the cloud of iron or whatevery brown stuff it is that im brushing up when the water settles over night ? Should i put more sequestreant in like jacks magic etc ? what do you guys recommend ? Should i try flocking it AGAIN ?

Ok i got my tft test kit finally and heres my numbers the pool has cleared up from using the filter 24-7 the last week and a half but you still cant see the deep end clearly and when i brush now instead of the rust brown clouds i was getting its more of a white cloud , thinking maybe its the DE im putting in the sand filter ? Anyways here ya go let me knwo what ya think i should do now
TC-0
PH-7.5
TA-70
CH-80
CYA-40

also when i did the chlorine drop test it says to drop a one heap of r870 powder and it will turn pink well mine stayed clear,even after doing it a few times with more 870, why wouldnt it turn pink, could it be because there is no chorine in it ? Thanks

A good double check on the R-870 not turning the water pink is to try the Taylor K-1000 total chlorine test, which comes in the TF-100 kit. If the water doesn't turn yellow at all with that test then your chlorine really is zero. If the Taylor test turns the water yellow then something is going wrong with the R-870 based test and it should be tried again after cleaning everything carefully and sampling the pool in a different place.

Having FC of zero is bad. You *never* want your FC to go below 3. I would aim higher than 3 so that you have some margin.

If your FC level is actually zero it is time to shock the pool. That means bringing FC up to 15 and holding it there with chlorine additions several times a day until is stays stable overnight. That will kill of anything that might be growing in the water, which will finally allow the filter to start catching up and clear up the water.

Ok todays numbers after putting 5 178oz of 6%bleach in last night are as follows
FC-13
CC-0
TC-13
PH-8
TA-80
CH-80
CYA-30
The pool is getting clearer but still getting that white power residue on the stairs and acapulco shelf, would that be the de i put in the sand filter or maybe the dust from the fresh wet edge ? The deep end still has a ways to go before you can see the bottom clearly

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.