Pool alarm

merl

Mar 8, 2011
Well my pool is done, and today I get a text from the PB telling me we need to schedule for a final inspection and that I need a pool alarm. This is the first time I have heard anything about a pool alarm. I asked the guy what kind and he for some reason is unable to tell me what kind. Meaning he responded to my question by telling me that we had talked about it. If you plan on building a pool in Houston, TX contact me first!

At any rate, what kind of alarm do you think he thinks I have to have to pass an inspection?

If TX regulations are like FL you need to have all entries into the pool either child locked or have a pool alarm. The alarm is just a device that makes an increadibly loud noise when the door is opened. It has to meet the regulation (usually UL2017) or they won't accept it. If you Google UL2017 you will see the alarms.

We installed two of these on the doors with direct access to the pool area:

http://www.amazon.com/Techko-S187D-Magn ... B0046786U4

I then took them off about 10 minutes after the inspector left. Here is my problem with this product and the code requirement.

** Code in Riverside County requires an "Always On" type of alarm on the door (meaning that it can not have an on/off switch).

** This product (and I assume all 'Always On' alarms) will not allow you to keep the door open. You hit the Bypass button and you have about 7 seconds to open and reclose the door before the alarm deafens you with the 110 db siren. You also have no way to enter the house from the outside without drilling a hole in the wall/door and installing an extra button on the pool side.

IF we were allowed to install an alarm with a On/Off switch it would still be on the door. I could turn it off when we want the door open and then turn it back on when we want the protection on the door.

This is another example of a stupid requirement that does not work!

Just being a devil's advocate here, but if you had an on/off button on an alarm, what would keep a child from entering the pool if the alarm was off. In other words, the alarm is there for unexpected entries to the pool area. When you turn the alarm off and a child enters the pool area then what is the defense?

They do make pool alarms like this one that have a remote that sticks to the door on the outside. I own one. You press the button before entering the house and the alarm will not sound.

I also agree that the current regulations do not work for numerous reasons, but it is the best we have right now. Having said this I too removed my alarms off the door 10 min after the inspector came. I do leave them on the door though, just remove the batteries. I install the batteries when my little nieces and nephews come over.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.