Weighing Pros and Cons

Martha

Apr 25, 2011
I have two questions that I am weighing the pros and cons, and thought I'd ask for input. Special circumstances for the pool are that it is indoors, and has ~ 100 bathers per day. We backwash about 1500 gallons every other day, and the CH tends to be low (140-150).

First, excluding cost as an issue, would you rather have a controller with an orp sensor or a ppm sensor?

Second, liquid chlorine or cal hypo? I would not be so tempted, but the pool guy swore that the cal hypo would give the pool that chlorine gas sparkle and our CH is already low anyways...

If cost isn't an issue, then a ppm sensor every time. Of course, cost is always an issue, and then it isn't quite as clear cut.

If I had to pick just one, I'd go with liquid chlorine. That gives you more flexibility to add calcium or not add calcium. Cal-hypo can cause calcium clouding once the CH level comes up a bit. However, if you can switch back and forth, then a mixture of the two is probably good given that you have chronic low CH levels. Where the chlorine comes from isn't going to affect how the water sparkles, or doesn't sparkle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.