am I on the right track

mlcc

May 22, 2011
Denton, Tx
Our SWG is having trouble keeping up making chlorine (I think). Our Chlorine levels have been low since swimming season has started. So we had the SWG tested this week to make sure it was not faulty and they said it was fine but our phosphates were high. Last night I went out a bought a Taylor K2006 test kit so I could start testing it better than what the kit our builder gave us.

After testing last night and this morning with the K2006 I got these numbers:
Last night
FC: 0.5
CC: 1.0
pH: 8.0
TA:150
CH: not tested - let me know if you need this and I will test it
CYA: 55

This Morning:
FC:0.5
CC: 0.6

I have added some stablizer this morning to bring up the CYA. I think I need to add some muriatic acid to bring down the pH. Since reading on here that the phosphates should not be a problem if the FC levels are in check, is my next step shocking the pool?

Thanks for the help in advance, I am still trying to get a grasp of what my wife got me into.

Fix the stuff you're fixing....and you MAY not need to shock. Just getting the FC in range and all this lovely early June heat wave might burn off that extra CC for ya'. I'd dump a jug or two of bleach in there so your FC gets there quickly and you don't have to work the SWCG so hard----just maintain. Your wife has a sister just East of you! Welcome to the poolboy club.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.