Intex Sand Filter Sand In Pool

Jun 3, 2011
Ok, this is the 2nd year for this pump/filter. End of last year the pump went up, got a new on this year, same sand filter. NEW sand in it. Ran fine all day today once new pump was running. End of day pressure was up, so i backwashed. Some sand flowed but not much, cloudy water for a minute then clear, when i turned it to rinse after a few seconds you could see in the sight glass sand building up, light brown water out the discharge. If i turn it to filter then it pumps the sand into the pool. I went back to rinse and it continued to pump sand, and not little particles the big granules. Went back to backwash and it would flow clear water and clear the sight glass. Back to rinse and it started to flow sand again!!!! WTH. I have had nothing but problems with this thing and right now i don't have the 500$ to spend on a new setup!

Sounds like something is definitely cracked. It makes sense that the backwash is clear because it's running water backward through the filter so the sand wouldn't come out during that but as soon as the water started flowing normally it would find the crack and flow into the pool.

You'll have to take it apart to tell where the issue is.

Well i tookit apart dumped the sand and found nothing. The little slits had sand stuck in them so i took the garden hose and cleared them and rinsed the filter housing. Put it back together and 2 new bags of sand. Seems to be ok so maybe the disk got shifted or tilted somehow and allowed the sand to bypass it. No matter how much i backwash the gauge stays between 7 and 10 lbs. Is this ok?

I'm having the same problem with sand flowing back into the pool. It is brown/tan in color...is it just dust/dirt? I really don't want to take the filter apart and dump the sand. Is that my only option?

- Gpb - put a rag or sock over the return and catch some of the stuff. See what it looks and feels like and report back.

If it's sand from the filter, your only option is to remove it and inspect/repair it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.