New "Green" Muratic acid

steve_h

Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
Has anyone tried the new "Green" Muratic acid. I saw some at the local home center.

I was reluctant to try it because is did not specifically state it was the usual Baume 31% HCL.

Both were the same price and I was just wondering if it was the same concentration.

I just Googled 'green muriatic acid' and there are several brands. The big thing seems to be less fumes than regular MA. I found an MSDS for one of the brands and it shows

Hydrochloric acid {Hydrogen chloride} 7647-01-0 <25.0 %
OSHA CEIL 5ppm (whatever this means??)
ACGIH CEIL 2ppm (whatever this means as well)

Another brand's MSDS shows 19.81% of Hydrogen Chloride (same thing as Hydrochloric Acid??)

Those "Green" products do have lower fumes, which is nice, but they also tend to be less strong, so you need to use more, and they contain additional ingredients that you don't always want to be putting in your pool. Unless the fumes are a major problem for you, I would stick with ordinary muriatic acid, it is less expensive and free of unwanted additives.

chem geek said:
You can usually buy half-strength Muriatic Acid (15-16% Hydrochloric Acid) that also fumes less and if at half the price of the full-strength then it's economical as well.

Be careful however, I picked up some MA at TrueValue (after becoming familiar with Leslie's price) and it was the same price as the stuff I got from Leslies. Then I got it home and realized that it was 17.5% (2 gallons) for the same price (almost exactly) as the 34% (2 gallons) from Leslies. Ouch!

If you don't like the odor, stand up-wind! :mrgreen:

My local Lowes only had the green muriatic acid at $7.99 per gallon, the Home Depot across the street has boxes of 2 1gallon regular muriatic acid for $10.92. I'd stay away from the green version since it has added Crud in it and isn't as strong, just don't breath in the fumes!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.