vinyl pool and CH=80. Pool store said add calcium....

tcordle

Mar 17, 2011
vinyl pool and CH=80. Pool store said add calcium....
or we will risk scale build-up on our SWG device. However, I've read on TFT that calcium is not a concern with vinyl pools. I bought the 15 lb tub of calcium but don't know if I should add it (i.e. listen to the pool store guy) or ignore and take it back. What do you recommend? Thanks so much!!

That is actually quite funny. Adding calcium is the only way you could possibly get scale on the SWG. Right now there is no chance of scaling, but if you add calcium there would be some chance of scaling.

There is no reason to add CH, except perhaps if your warranty coverage requires it.

Thank you so much, Jason. That's what I had thought from reading TFT over the past two months but I'm such a newbie that I question everything. I will have husband return the calcium tomorrow and get our $30 back. Geesh.

JasonLion said:
That is actually quite funny. Adding calcium is the only way you could possibly get scale on the SWG. Right now there is no chance of scaling, but if you add calcium there would be some chance of scaling.

There is no reason to add CH, except perhaps if your warranty coverage requires it.

What he said :goodjob:

How would you get calcium scaling with a lack of calcium :scratch:

If they offer you store credit instead of a refund, use it for something safe: a volleyball set, some swim fins, a new brush head. No chemicals. That salesman is either incredibly stupid or icredibly dishonest. Either way, not to be trusted. And don't let them sell you a steel brush head for your vinyl pool!

Isaac-1 said:
I personally keep some reasonable level of CH in my vinyl pool as I don't want to worry about splash out puddles eroding the concrete floor over the long term.
That is not an issue. If it was concrete would be destroyed by rain, which has extremely low CH levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.