High suction at skimmer with 24 ft ABG

Bink

May 29, 2011
Atlanta
Still a newbie to this site but need some advice as to why the suction is so high at my skimmer. I have a 24 ft round ABG with a Jacuzzie 192 sand fillter (holds 200 lbs of sand) with a 1 hp pump motor. Pressure is so high that if a couple of leaves get sucked into the skimmer the suction will start bending the plastic on the bottom of the skimmer basket. Pump pressure is around 14 to 15 which is normal for my gauge. One item I do need to note is that on my water return the plate and eye is missing(not sure of proper terminology). So my water return is basically 1 1/2 pipe into the pool. This past weekend I changed the sand in the filter and that made no change in the suction. (don't ask too long a story to explain here).
Can the open water return be my problem? I'm wondering if I put a new return in if that would create back-pressure to lower the suction at the skimmer. Suggestions are most welcome as I can't leave the pump running unattended and my pool is an ugly green mess at the present time.

One item I do need to note is that on my water return the plate and eye is missing(not sure of proper terminology). So my water return is basically 1 1/2 pipe into the pool.
There's your problem. With no back pressure from the eyeball, your pump is flowing a lot more water thereby creating a lot more suction at the skimmer. Replace the eyeball with a 3/4" or 1" and your suction will go down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.