How many gallons?? days?? PICTURES ADDED

Oh thanks Sue. Those are beautiful pictures! :goodjob: Thanks for the Super emoticon- my son will love it when I show it and your pictures to him tomorrow.

My kids were also impressed with yours, Wolfmarsh. 4 days would be great! I think mine started out yuckier( is that a word?) than both of yours, so I think it will be longer.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Waste~ I hope I didn't offend you since I don't like your username- I am sure you have a good reason for it. You have been so helpful to me, so I don't think it fits you.

I think I understand what you were talking about with the 1485 thing. I have made good friends with my filter. I was standing there today and it hit me "oh that thing between the motor and the tank". I told you I am a visual learner. I didn't go to the pool store today. Probably tomorrow since I have to take my son to the Dr- and it is close by.

Things are coming along- I am having a higher amount of FC for a longer amount of time. I will add a few more gallons before I go to bed and bump it. Today was much better with the gunk out. Also the bumping is taking the pressure down farther than it was yesterday. I am not worried that it will overheat tonight. Whew!

It didn't rain today and it was suppose to, so that was an answer to pra yer- well even though we need rain, I didn't want it to mess up my Ph.

Ok time to sign off.

Good night. :sleep:

Here are my totals this morning:

FC 7.5
CC 13.5
TC 21
PH 8.0

It rained last night and the ph went up again. I already added some bleach this morning. How
long should I wait before adding the muriatic acid, and how much, another quart?.
I know you aren't suppose to combine the two.
The water still looks bad but I think there is a lot less floating and suspended stuff. It seems a little clearer.
I could see the walls to brush them and also lots of combined gunk on the bottom. I will vacuum today. It is pretty windy and cold today- compared to what we were having.

My digital card is full so I need to upload those to make room to take some more. I don't know what Gmail is and I use Google but don't have an account. I never heard of that. You have no idea what it took to get me to be able to post here. I am a little computer challenged. (really a lot)

I need to go- I also homeschool my boys and I am getting behind in my grading
- thank goodness for weekends.

Keep up the encouragement, I think this could go on for a while. :cry:

You don't need to wait very long after adding bleach to add acid. 15 minutes should do it (with filter running of course).

I would add a quart, or maybe a quart + 1 cup of acid. That will get you down to maybe 7.4-7.5. You don't want to take it down too low since your high chlorine level may be skewing the pH reading up a bit.

Sounds like your making progress, keep up your perserverence and patience!

Thanks--- I did not even think about the ph being effected by the chlorine level.

I did add MA and now it is down to 7.2. The readings I just took are:

FC 9
CC 10
TC 19
Ph 7.2

Iam gong out to put in that bleach now and back wash again. I finished off more than half of the DE.
I am hoping that the wind dies down so I can vacuum- those chunks of debris out of the bottom.

I know we can do this... I feel more confident every time I accomplish something.
I'll keep looking at those sparkling pool pictures.
Later :)

I guess I need to get some CYA soon- haven't even thought of that yet- maybe over the weekend.

A tip about adding CYA (from experience). Say you set a target level of 30 ppm. Add enough to get you to 20 or 25 ppm first, then wait at least a week before testing and adding more. I ended up getting mine very close to 100 ppm when I was shooting for 70 ppm (I have a SWG), because I didn't wait long enough before I added more. :oops:

For some reason, even though it appears to disslove, it really doesn't go into solution and register on the test for several days. HTH

Blessed, sorry for the delay... :cry:

Re: my name - it's only a name, it means no more or less than what someone reads into it :wink: It was given to me over 20 years ago by my fraternity brothers, when I was abusing illicit chemicals, I hang on to it to remind me of how I messed up back then :-D If 'waste' bothers you, just call me Ted

OK, back to your pool. Sounds like it's progressing :goodjob: You are right about the 1485, it's the piece between the pump and filter. I don't have to buy pool stuff on-line, so I can't help with the cheapest distributors (when I need something, I just walk into the store where I work and grab it off the shelf).

Dave gave some very good advice on the cya, heed it! And don't add the cya until the conversion is complete.

If you've already gone through ~ 25 lbs of DE, you may be adding too much. If you go to 'dump' the used up DE in your filter, do what I said for bumping it then open the drain port and run the filter for ~ 1 minute. Then reseal the drain and run the filter until no air comes out of the air relief knob on the top and repeat the bumping and draining. After the second draining with the pump on, reseal the drain fire the pump until no air comes out of the knob and add only ~ 80% of the initial amount of DE (ie. if the filter says it takes 6 lbs only add 5 lbs) too much DE will cause the filter to clog more quickly. Even the best backwashing or bumping and draining will only get ~ 80% of the old DE out of the unit, so only add ~80%, the BEST way to clean them is to break them apart and thoroughly hose off the fingers :!: It should be easier for yours as you have the spring clamp.

Know that we're all behind you and hope that the conversion will be completed as soon as possible so that you can have a Trouble Free Pool :p

at my 3:00 testing I got:

FC 9.5
CC 9.5
TC 19

Is this good? As the FC has gone up the CC has come down. I know I am trying to get FC to maintain at 15, but what am I shooting for with the CC. (I guess here is where that chemistry background would be helpful)

As far as what it looks like?-- still green, but not murky. I can now see the sides and bottom pretty good. Here is the new question-- I know I am full of questions(I do tell my boys that, that is what makes a wise person but don't be annoying about it :wink: ) : I am trying to not be annoying :roll:

I was brushing the sides and bottom- lots of sediment in there. On the one side where we usually have the steps(took them out a few weeks ago), there was some green algae when I started. That is gone, but there is some that is not coming off. Is that the dreaded mustard algae or black algae?

Waste- ( I suppose as a reminder to not go there again, is a good reason for your name- like history- those who forget are bound to repeat it)

Nice to be able to grab them off the shelf. I guess that won't work for me.
I thought that I was suppose to be backwashing regularly. Regularly means how often? Actually my pressure is staying down better today than even yesterday. It is only rising about 4-5 psi. Yesterday was 7-8 and on Wednesday before the clean out- 10 psi every 20 minutes. I think it is working. Thanks~ I did use that trick to release the pressure and it has brought it down for longer.
I am suppose to be adding 5 scoops (lbs.) of DE but I have really only been adding 4. I need to reread what you said about getting the most out of my backwashing-- ok just did that. I see what you mean but if you can only get out 80% of what you put in, than if you only put in 80% than you will get out 60%. Is that right?
So if I get a new filter- in the future - get sand? Less hassles? I guess every kind has their headaches.

I won't put the CYA in there for a while. But I need to buy it and I need to know how much, what kind etc. And that sock- are we talking a real sock or is this something that they sell with the CYA - I do know they call it stablizer.

Well ya'll have a good weekend. I will be here. so check on me ocassionally. Maybe by Monday I'll see blue again. :-D

It sounds like you are making excelent progress. FC levels are starting to partially hold, which is a very good sign.

You want CC to go to zero. CC is combined chlorine, an intermediate break down product that tends to smell bad and can irritate your skin. Recently added chlorine first goes towards breaking down baquacil part of the way, creating combined chlorine. Additional chlorine is then used to break that down further. So keep adding chlorine and the CC will go away eventually.

CYA is generally sold as stabalizer at pool stores. You wand to bring your level up to between 30 and 50. For a 15,000 gallon pool that means about five pounds total. Don't put all of it in at once, as previously suggested.

The sock for adding CYA can be a skimmer sock or a regular clothing sock or knee high stockings or any kind of very fine mesh bag.

I would backwash every other day or any time the pressure has increased by 8 psi.

The algae that won't brush off is probably a stain of some kind. Don't worry about it till you get towards the end of the conversion. I could well be an organic stain from the algae that will go away on it's own.

What I meant is that if you have the full 5 lbs in your filter and clean it as fully as you can (without breaking it down and hosing all the 'stuff' off) you'll still have ~ 1 lb of DE still in the filter, so only add 4 lbs, as you've been doing :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright I guess I have a post out in cyberspace or deleted. Let me try this again.

Anyway-

My FC was a 15.5 last night @ 11:30. I had added a gallon and a half @ 7:30- when FC was at 11. According to the pool calculator I actually have 15,700 gallons- I guess I should update my profile.
Twelve hours later-- 7:30 this morning FC was at 9-- but it looked so much better. There is a hint of blue and the water is so much more clear. I brushed it and added bleach. It got a little cloudy but still better.

I showed my husband the conversion pictures last night. He was very much encouraged. Thanks everyone for those inspiration shots!!

Thanks for the info about FC & CC JasonLion, (my son likes your avatar) I can definitely attest to the smell and skin irritation. I am glad to know that that is an indicator that it is working. Also thanks for telling me about what we are looking for CC to do.

Waste-
If I put in 4lb. then I wash out all but 1 lb., I still have the same amount remaining in my filter. :p Isn't the most important thing to use the right amount to adequately cover those finger things? I will continue to use 4 lbs till the conversion is done. I am glad to know that I don't have to backwash every few hours. It(psi) has been keeping down for longer periods of time.

I do have another question regarding the pressure valve thing. When I open mine, water is coming out. Is this normal? I also see water dripping from under the ring that is held together by the spring clamp- not all the time though. I don't know the model numbers of those things. I hope my filter is not breaking down.

Thanks again for all the help.

I continue to take pictures-

until it is sparkling blue :-D

Blessed, glad to hear that there is even more progress, and understanding of what's going on :party: !

With the amount of DE - the ~1 lb that is still in there will not take any more fresh DE, the parts of the fingers that it won't let go of are, in effect, clogged, so the 4 lbs of fresh DE you add will only go to the parts of the fingers that need it, if you were to add the full 5 lbs, some areas would clog from having too much on them. (I can't give you a picture but, because I know you learn 'visually', I'll 'paint' you a mental picture.) Imagine the fingers all clean. Now you add the DE and they have 1/8" coating on them. As the filter does it's job and accumulates dirt and Baqua-crud, some areas get so congested that the DE & stuff are so much that the fingers are 'glued' together (the stuff accumulated on one finger touches the stuff from the other). When you 'bump and dump' not all of these congested areas are cleared out, only 80 % of the total finger area is completely DE free. So you only add 4 Lbs, enough to get the DE free parts an 1/8" coating. {I hope :!: I gave this in a way you can understand!}

As for the 'pressure valve thing' (very scientific :wink:), if it's the air relief valve/ knob - when you are filtering, it should spit nothing but water when opened. If you have too much air in the filter, parts of the fingers won't be able to filter the water - water has to pass through them for them to do their job, if instead of water, it's air, you're not filtering the pool water! As for the occasional drip from the band, I'll wager that it only happens when the pressure is high. (If you want more on this, simply ask, but I think you'll want to address this after the conversion)

Again, glad things are coming along! :-D

Take care and y'all have a good weekend :wink:

Ok-- ok --you mean, the more you put in(DE), the faster it will get clogged :idea:

As far as the pressure release thing- you mean it is suppose to do that (leak water). I figured it(the tank) was full of water. I only have used that valve when we were going to open it up and had already released the discharge hose at the bottom. It released air then. Yes, when pressure gets up higher it does leak a little around the edges.

I didn't backwash at all today- only needed to bump it a few times. I guess I will need to do it tomorrow again.

I did finally get to the pool store and got the skim vac- didn't ask for the other part as I don't think I need to vacuum to waste anymore. It was a generic one. They didn't have a Hayward one but it does fit fine. Best part it was only $6. There are not as many chunks in there today. I brushed the walls and floor a few times. It just read 12FC and 7CC. It is looking clearer and clearer- still a hint of green. Maybe tomorrow morning it will look mostly blue. I should have asked them how much those new finger grid things are. But I guess I really won't need that til I open it back up in the spring.

Do I need to address the dripping of the filter because it is on its last leg?-- It needs new weather stripping or something. It does have a lot of rust at the base of this thing. Former owner of the house had the pool for 4 years + this summer that we had it =5. I don't know if the filter is newer than that. How long do they last? Got a pool catelog in the mail today and saw a similar new one for $469. We don't have sales tax here, so that will keep it under $500. Yes, we will save so much by not buying Baq that we can spend it on something else. Hubby was asking what we have to do to maintain it next year. I did bring up getting a SWG- that is what most of you all recommend, right?

So far I have used 36 gallons of bleach. I think that is pretty good considering 1/2 gallon of Baq sanitizer is $33. We are only into our first gallon.

Ok I am tired and rambling on and on and on :blah: so I will post tomorrow-

we have ch urch in the morning so I will need to ge tup early to get things checked on and bleach added.

Go d bless you all and have a good day :-D

Blessed :-D

This morning we were at:

FC 13
CC 6
TC 19

By the time we got home from church and tested again:

FC 8
CC 5
TC 13

Let me tell you it is starting to sparkle. I can tell we will be there soon. 8)

Going to add bleach now--

~Blessed :-D

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and help!!

Hey~

things are moving along. I have our CC down to 3.5.
The last 2 mornings I have been at 13 FC. It is looking so nice, wish it was nice enough out to go swimming.
I am thinking that by tomorrow I can put in the CYA-- is that right? If it is at 15 and 0, FC and CC respectively?

When the conversion is over, at what level do we keep the chlorine?? How long should I wait 'til I close it for the season??
What do I do to it then-- we have never closed a pool before so I am in need of a little more help from my friends, please?

I was working on trying to upload the pictures. They are too big, so I have to resize them. For some reason, Paint shop is not working, so I have to figure another way. I will look into Snapfish or one of those things. Do you have to resize them to load them on those?

Got to go -

THANKS SO SO MUCH!!! I am very grateful :wave:

regarding the photo resizing, photobucket is a nice hosting site. You don't have to resize to upload them, and you can resize them quite easily once you get them in there.

Hold off on the CYA until your conversion is totally complete and you change your DE... If you are going to close your pool soon, I would skip the CYA until spring, since in some pools, it will disappear over the winter.

Use Jason's calculator to tell you what your FC should be... that value is dependent on your CYA. The higher the CYA, the higher FC you need to maintain a safe pool. If you have 0 CYA, 1-3 ppm is sufficient, but you will have difficulty maintaining this without frequent (couple times a day) dosing with bleach.

To close, from a chemical standpoint, you simply shock the pool, add polyquat algaecide, circulate for a bit, and cover her up! There are other things that need to be done, like lowering the water below the returns, cleaning filter, storing equipment if possible or necessary. Others can help you more from the equipment end.

Sounds like you are almost there... next year will be a breeze!

If you are going to close right away then you can skip the CYA. But if you aren't closing right away it will be impossible to hold a FC level during the day without some CYA so you should go ahead and add some as soon as the FC level holds overnight. Closing right away will be simpler, unless you are planning to swim some more this season.

A good place to start for closing information is this thread.

P I C T U R E S

Yes~ I think I have pictures for you all.
I am sorry it goes by so fast, I don't know how to slow it down.
(Just watch a few times :wink: )
[web]http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee186/blessedwithboys3/?action=view&current=dd4537f1.pbw[/web]
I will put the next few on later. I had 2 more after the last one that 'somehow' didn't get in here. :eek: Yes it even looks better than that.
[font=Lucida
Console]Thanks again for all the help and encouragement. [/font]

We hope that the CC goes to 0 today and that FC is holding tonight.
blessed :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.