Cloudy water

May 22, 2011
I have tried everything to clear up this pool. It was even new water because I had to drain it to fix the liner. It turned soupy green, i cleared it up, turned green again. I went to the pool store they gave me stuff that killed the algae but it was still cloudy white. I have even changed the sand in the filter because it was old. I've been able to keep it from going green again, even though every time i test it there is no chlorine in it, but i still cant see the bottom through the white cloudiness. I've tried clarifier but that makes it all sink to the bottom and when i try to get it up, it just clouds up the water again. I dont know what the problem is, i've had this pool for 6 years and never had a problem.

liner pool, i think its 12,000 gallons
hayward sand filter and chlorinator
use 3" tabs in the chlorinator and arm&hammer super washing soda for pH and alk
the shock i just bought claims to have clarifier in it but it doesnt seem to

Welcome to TFP!

First, you should post a complete set of water test results. They often contain clues to what is going on.

Adding a little DE to your sand filter will often help it catch fine dust. Or, if you can get the dust to settle to the bottom you can get it up by vacuuming to waste really carefully and slowly so you don't stir it up again.

Clarifier is very hit or miss, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

thredhd said:
even though every time i test it there is no chlorine in it......use 3" tabs in the chlorinator

Welcome to TFP!

If you let the chlorine get to zero, you are never going to get the water clear. It has to stay at an approriate level for your CYA, and if you use trichlor tablets your CYA is probably very high. The Chlorine CYA Chart will tell you what kind of level you need. You may need to supplement your chlorinator with a dose of unstabilized liquid chlorine or bleach several times a day to get it cleared.

well thank you for your responses, i cant get any numbers for you right now, i dont have a good test kit and the pool store i use is closed until tuesday. but i do know the cya cannot be that high because on the 12th it tested at 25 ppm. i do have some test strips to give me an idea where i'm at. i added some soda ash this morning because the pH and alk were a bit low. i refilled the chlorinator because it was on its last tab. i added shock because the strip said i was almost 0 again. i backwashed really well because i've noticed the pressure climbing every few days since i changed that sand. and now i'm adding some DE. so i'll check back in, in a few days and let you know if its clearing or not.

well hot Dang i can see the bottom of the pool! :party: that DE stuff worked wonders. dont know how much chlorine is in it but its certainly pretty! thank you!

will it start to cloud up again when it wants more DE?

this pool is going to be the death of me yet! lol. i still cannot maintain chlorine and i cant figure out why. the chlorinator is full and on high. i got my water tested today, results below. the pH was a bit high but i got decreaser for that and the calcium was a bit low so i got some to fix that. but otherwise, there should be no reason for me to be at 0 chlorine.

FC 0
TC 0
CC 0
TA 90
pH 8.2
CH 120
CYA 28

Your PH is too high. You need to get PH down to something more reasonable soon.

You need to add a lot more chlorine to the pool until you can maintain an FC level overnight. That will be much easier to do if you get your own test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.