21ft or 24ft?

Apr 22, 2011
Ohio
Ok, just thinking out-loud, so to speak. My back yard is tight. We got a septic system on one side, the house on the other, and a line of pines on the East side. If I follow the rules for distance from my property line and septic system (10ft from property line and 10ft from septic), I can BARELY fit a 24ft pool. It will be a snug fit. If I go with a 21ft pool, it will be no problem. Obviously I would have 1 1/2ft extra from the septic and property line. That would give a foot more away from the pine trees. (obviously 1 ft or so will make no difference in sun access, so I am not factoring that in.

My wife says just get the 21ft and be done with it. My brain says, For only $200, it may be worth it to squeeze the 24ft in there. What are your thoughts? I usually have buyers remorse, so that is another reason for the 24ft, lol.

Man, I am also upset I waited to get the permit. I did not realize the health inspector needs to actually see where I am putting it, pertaining to the septic. Now I can't start the excavation which I need for 3ft on one side, and I can't even order the pool, since I want to make 100% I can do it, lol. Sigh, it feels like it will be end of June before I get it setup. :( :(

I have a 24 and that extra 1.5 feet all the way around makes a HUGE difference. I was in a friend's 18 and felt like I was in a bathtub. I say go as big as you can. But before you commit, do you want a deck around it? If so, what effect does that have on your setbacks? Might cause you some troubles if you put in a 24', want a deck, and can't due to property line issues.

I would rather have an 18 with a place to sit than a 24' without.

Another thought is how big are the trees now, and how big will they get? I know white pines get enormous, so if the trees have room to grow, they will quickly encroach on your pool.

But hey, it's your $$$.

I would too lean towards the larger one but what you want to do as far as fencing/decking needs consideration as well. We had to have a 6 ft fence up around ours so ended up putting a small deck/walkway around ours along with some railing to meet the city requirements. If you end up doing something like that you will need the extra room on the sides.

Thanks everyone. I know I would have always looked at the pool and said, "I could have fit the bigger one in here." so I finally ordered the pool. I went with the 24ft. It is pretty much exactly 10ft from my septic, and 10ft from my neighbor's property, which is code here. I plan to build a small deck and need nothing more than a small one, so that will be fine. I think it may look a little funny, being so big, in a small area, but it will look better once I am swimming in it, lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.