Understanding shocking

Apr 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Yesterday evening my FC was 0 and CC was 0.8. I then added a little over 4 gallons of bleach.

This morning my FC level was 2.0 and CC was 0.8.

So, two questions here...

1) I'm shocking the pool since my FC level was 0, so am I correct that I need to keep trying to get FC up to ~12 until the CC is under 0.5?

2) Yesterday morning my CYA was 0, but I added 7 pounds of CYA throughout the day. So my assumption is that CYA levels should be up a lot more (but won't show up accurately on tests for a few days). But since I don't have an accurate CYA measurement, should I wait until this evening to add bleach since there's a possibility there's nothing to stabilize the added bleach?

CYA could take up to a week to completely dissolve and show up accurately on the test. In the mean time you should assume that the CYA is at the level you are targeting and shock at that level. When Shocking you want to keep the FC at the shock level the entire time. This mean adding enough chlorine to maintain that shock level and may mean having to add many times. Test often and maintain your shock level. Do this until three things happen:
1. Your overnight FC loss is 1ppm or less
2. CC is .5 or lower
3. Water is clear

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.