so I have a leak

LabDad

May 20, 2010
Garner, NC
so here is the deal. Had a fiberglass pool put in last year. We noticed that we were constantly adding water. Did the bucket test. Apparently we have a leak. I think it was in November we called a leak detection company come out. It was really cold and they couldn't find a leak. We called again last week and had 2 guys come out and they said they found a leak around one of the lights. They checked the returns and the skimmer but they couldn't find anything leaking there.

Here's my problem. The leak guys said the dye was "drawing really hard" at the one light (I have 2 lights). If the leak is at the light and not at the returns then why do i keep getting dirt on the bottom of the pool about 2' in front of one of my returns in an arch pattern? The builder has been great and is coming this week to tear the concrete up to fix the leak at the light. If that is my leak then where does this dirt keep coming from? I am afraid they are going to tear up my concrete and there will be no leak there.

anyone have an ideas?

thanks in advance
Mark

If the return(s) were leaking you wouldn't be getting dirt in, you'd be losing water out, and faster when the pump was running than when it wasn't. About the only way to get dirt out of the returns is if there's a filter problem. While it's possible to suck dirt in if you have a suction side leak, the filter would catch it before it got to the pool.

Did the leak guys test the plumbing while they were there? Also did you let the water level drop until it stopped?

thank you for the reply.

I did let the water go until it stopped and it always stopped just below the returns. The leak guys hooked their equipment up from right at the pump and sealed off the returns. They said it help pressure. Do you think if I am getting dirt in somehow I should inspect the filter? I am new to the whole pool thing. I know how to pay for them but not a lot about how they work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.