Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool depth slopes

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool depth slopes

A quick question...

What's the maximum slope you can drop in a gunite pool? I keep hearing there is some restriction, but don't really understand why. If the sides of the pool are vertical, why can a dropoff not be steep as well?

Thanks...
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

2. Back To Top    #2

It's easy enough to do vertical, you'd have to check local codes. We installed a therapy pool like you describe, years ago.... and the only requirement was a safety rope 1' back from the dropoff to prevent someone from walking off the edge - however this was a therapy pool so there was no diving and the patients were supervised the entire time, which could make a difference.

If you're planning a diving pool slamming your head into a vertical wall offers more risk of a broken neck than scraping your chin on a slope does.

Check the codes and build to the codes!

HTH
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3
    The red cross used to publish recomended pool configurations for diving pools. Are you putting in a diving board?
    ~Megan

4. Back To Top    #4

I have no plans for a diving board. But I do want an 8' deep end for general diving off the side and goofing around. The transition from the shallow end from 6' to 8' seems a little like wasted space. It would be nice to keep the shallow (3 1/2' to 5') as long as possible, then a fairly steep slope down. (not vertical) I was just wondering if there was some physical reason it was tough to do, or just standards and codes.

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Belldiver
    I have no plans for a diving board. But I do want an 8' deep end for general diving off the side and goofing around. The transition from the shallow end from 6' to 8' seems a little like wasted space. It would be nice to keep the shallow (3 1/2' to 5') as long as possible, then a fairly steep slope down. (not vertical) I was just wondering if there was some physical reason it was tough to do, or just standards and codes.
    The reason is that if a poor swimmer gets started on the slope, they can't stop. I've been standing neck deep in my pool and had to swim to return to the shallow end. buoyancy keeps your feet from getting any traction on the bottom.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, good point about the poor swimmers. I never thought of that.

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Belldiver
    It can be done. Just tell your pool builder you want more of a "spoon" shape than a gradual slope. My excavator asked me which I prefer since I wasn't getting a diving pool. I asked for the spoon. I only went 7 foot deep and I'm sorry I didn't go the full 8.
    35,000 gallon 800 Sq. foot gunite, 50 x 22 freeform. 2 sheer Descent waterfalls from 2 foot raised beam wall, Jandy heater, Polaris 280, 2 H.P. pump, DE 60 filter, Nature2, 2 Jandy color lights, 1000 Sq foot of Stamped concrete.

Master Spa LS850