Flooded Pool/Cloudy Water

I need some advice on my pool water. I live outside of Memphis, TN where we have had over 12" of rain in the last couple of weeks. Last week in rained almost 11" in 48 hours. The rain and run off flooded our pool. Our pool is new, only a couple of months since completed which means our landscaping is not complete. With all the rain we had a lot of muddy water wash into the pool. I have vacuumed it a couple of times and no longer see a huge amount of dirt settling on the bottom. I was out of town when it flooded and didn't get home to take care of everything for about 3 days. When i got home I had a low salt warning so I added the amount of salt recommended on the pool calculator and brought the salt up from 2300 to 3200. At this point all my numbers are back to pre-flood except FC.

Pre-flood numbers
FC - 6
pH - 7.8
TA - 90
CH - 240
CYA - 60
Borate - 0
Salt - 3200

I had been working to bring CH and CYA up a little and had planned to add Borates soon.

After flood numbers
FC - 9
pH - 7.8
TA - 100
CH - 230
CYA- 60
Salt - 3200

Why is my FC so high? I have tried turning down the chlorine generator which i had set to 45% before but that has not helped. Also, the water is very cloudy, before flood it was very clear now its very cloudy (not green cloudy). I have assumed it was just dirt so i have backwashed several times and I increased the filter run time. Is this dirt? or do I have some other problem?

Sorry to hear about your troubles :cry: You can confirm if it is another problem by performing the overnight FC loss test pool-school/overnight_fc_test

The cloudiness can take a few days to filter out, especially if you have a sand filter. You should try to run the pump 24/7 if possible. Per haps the increased FC is due to the SWG being run for a longer period than usual?

You could also add some DE to that sand filter of yours to assist in clearing out the finer particles. Cloudiness is easy to correct and the FC will drop on its own - it just takes time. Keep testing and watching the pressure gauge. Be cautious with adjusting the SWG, you don't want to dip out of tolerance with respect to FC. Better to be a bit high than too low and get algea.
Before adding Borates, make sure all other parameters are balanced and read "so you want to add Borates".
Good luck! I just drained a few inches from my rain-swelled pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.