Ozone/Chlorinator question

Apr 19, 2011
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post

30k gallon IG pool-gunite
Jandy DE Filter: 150 gpm
Jandy Stealth Pump: 2.0 H.P

New pool here, contractor installed a Paramount Clear O3 ozonator. Everything I have read says I need a source of chlorine for the actual pool/body of water. Contractor does not seem to think so, but feel he is not sure himself. I am thinking I need a chlorinator after the water has passed the Ozone as the water returns to the pool so the water is sanitized. Any education here would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you need chlorine, in some form to remain in the bulk of the pool water so that it's sanitary. You can do BBB, via liquid chlorine, tablets or SWG, etc. you can add it manually, as many here do, or install a chlorinator as you suggested.

Read up in Pool School about the basics, and if you have any other questions feel free to post back here. Welcome to TFP :)

One thing to remember is that some people have started a fanatical war against any use of Chlorine, this movement is far more advanced in many countries outside of the U.S. at the moment. As a result certain alternatives to chlorine have shown up on the market, how effective these alternatives are is a different matter. I personally think that part of the wide spread adoptions of SWG's is based upon the bad press that Chlorine gets, where in reality SWG pools are also Chlorine pools, they just generate the Chlorine on side by passing electricity through salt water to break it down into Chlorine and Sodium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.