Adding a vacuum gauge

Titanium

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2007
SF Bay Area
After reading mas985's great posts on hydraulics, I am interested in adding a vacuum gauge to the suction side of my pool piping. I have done some searching on this site, but can't find the posts that told how to add the vacuum gauge to the PVC piping. Was it just as simple as "Drill and Tap"?

Also, any ideas where to find a vacuum gauge? The local hardware store just stocks pressure gauges.

Thanks!

Titanium

You can get an automotive vacuum gauge for around $20 from many different places. I'm not sure how they hold up long term, but they work quite well for short term use.

There are many different ways to attach a vacuum gauge. Using one of the drain plug holes on the pump is usually a fairly simple approach.

A flow rate meter costs a little more, typically a bit under $100, but gives a more directly usable number in my opinion.

The Blue-White F-300 series works well and is affordable. You need 14 times the pipe diamiter of straight pipe to install them (21" for 1 1/2" pipe, 28" for 2" pipe) and there are different models for horizontal, vertical flow up, and vertical flow down. They are available from various sources for $60 to $100, for examaple AquaNet.Net (horizontal only). Installation is easy, drill a hole in the pipe and clamp it on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.